Performs advanced, specialized work to assist in the organization and implementation of various projects and programs. Work is performed under minimal supervision within established policies with latitude for independent judgment. Works on special projects as assigned. May substitute for supervisor during his/her absence.
• Communicates effectively with patient(s), families, internal and external departments, referral agencies, and community partners.
• Schedules and or\conducts meetings with patients and families.
• Keeps electronic calendar current, to be able to plan accordingly to meet program directives; provides Project Coordinator updates as required.
• Participates as an active member of a team, sharing, and participating in team meetings, events, and planning sessions to be able to meet the program objectives.
• Responsible for working evenings and weekends.
• Conducts patient visits in the evenings and weekends.
• Responsible for having transportation to be able to conduct patient home visits, conduct community outreach events, and other program related events required to meet program objectives.
• Handles data collection and writes reports.
• Maintains patient files as outlined by the program directives such as entering data into the electronic medical records, maintaining a referral list in an electronic format, and documenting patient progression and outcomes as instructed by the Program Coordinator.
• Serves as a liaison between the patient and referral agencies.
• Makes referrals for patients to community partner agencies.
• Provides diabetes and self-management educational information to patients.
• Completes required program trainings for certifications as required by the program.
• Adheres to institutional and departmental policies and procedures.
• Collaborates with clinical staff to quality control related project.
• Provides instructional classes and presentations.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or the equivalent plus six years experience in related field. Additional education may substitute for experience on a year for year basis.
• Certified Community Health Worker ( CHW ) or attending a CHW program.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people.
• Ability to understand and follow instructions.
• Work is performed in usual clinic and home conditions, which requires a high degree of indirect and direct contact with patients, TTUHSC clinic staff, and community partners.
• Ability to follow program and documentation requirements.
• Must have reliable transportation with current driver’s license and current insurance.
• At least one year experience in community outreach and education.
• Experience working in an office setting.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with diverse populations.
• Ability to receive instructions effectively; read and interpret documents such as reports, and departmental operating and procedure manuals.
• Ability to apply critical thinking skills, use common sense, and ability to carry out written oral or pictorial instructions.
• Knowledge of office practice and procedures.
• Proficient typing skills; display accurate and skillful use of personal computer and assigned software such as, but not limited to, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook Calendar, and Electronic Medical Records.
• Experience working in an office and outreach setting, such as scheduling and coordinating meetings, travel arrangements with clients and other entities.
• Working knowledge of HIPAA and maintaining confidentiality.
• Experience in data collection.
• Experience in conducting community referrals for clients.
• Excellent telephone etiquette.
• Excellent written and oral skills.
• Bilingual Spanish/English.
Security Level (TTU only)
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
If yes, are select agents used in this laboratory?
Texas Tech University HSC - Lubbock
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicant should submit resume and current references and letter(s) of recommendation dated within the last twelve months.
Applicant should submit verificaiton of enrollment and\or completion of CHW program. Submit CHW certificate if already certified.
•Visual Acuity, hearing, walking, standing, bending and squatting.
•Able to sit for long periods of time, lift up to twenty pounds, able to stare at the computer monitor for long periods of time.
Hourly Pay Range
13.16 - 18.78
Monthly Pay Range
2281.07 - 3255.20
Internal Candidates Only?
Internal Cand Open Date
Internal Cand Closing Date
The entities of Texas Tech University System are Equal Opportunity employers and are in compliance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended, Texas Commission on Human Rights Act (Texas Labor Code, Chapter 21), Americans with Disabilities Act as amended, and employs without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability or status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran.