Afilon seeks a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and collaborative lead systems engineer to play a critical role as consultant Afilons systems engineering consulting practice.
The lead systems engineer will be assigned to assist in developing a healthcare IT system to support emergency response for a healthcare system in the national capital region. The IT system will be used to present data on the emergency that allows the government healthcare system to make actionable decision to support the needs of the community in response to the emergency. The lead systems engineer will be responsible for leading and implementing aspects of designing the system, from understanding the user needs, developing the business case, and working with the team to develop the technical structure of the system. S/he will be able to synthesize and codify information that connects data gathered from a variety of stakeholder interviews and research to define and present the business problem and potential solutions, The lead systems engineer will report to the project manager of the project and work closely with the team to design a system that enables the government healthcare system to respond to catastrophic emergency situations affecting the community.
The collaborative lead systems engineer must have proven ability to frame complex problems and work with the team to develop an approach for breaking the problem down into manageable pieces. S/he will be able to lead team members to implement the approach and monitor the quality of the work to ensure the team meets the quality standards.. This person should have an interest in mentoring and teaching others and be skilled at identifying and proposing solutions to roadblocks encountered along the way The lead systems engineer must have strong oral and written communication skills with an interest in working with diverse individuals of various backgrounds. This individual will have strong relationship building skills with clients, teams and peers and have a track record of successfully working collaboratively across functional areas. S/he will have an understanding of business process re-engineering and IT system development. S/he will be a self-starter and look to research best practices to ensure the team is incorporating industry best practices into its work, and will have experience in working with different types of clients to create breakthrough interactive designs. The lead systems engineer is accountable for supporting the design of the final IT system that enables the government healthcare system to support emergency response within the national capital region.
- Lead the implementation of a complex geographically distributed medical situational awareness information system. Tasks leadership of three or more of the following:
- o Concept of operations
- o Business and technical requirements gathering
- o Business case development
- o Design of information system and test plan
- o Lead the collection, review, evaluation and interpretation of data
- Serve as a task leader, providing project technical and management support, including defining project scope, requirements, solutions and deliverables; consulting with customers, working groups and experts as needed; implementing plans to meet goals and objectives; providing recommendations to coordinate and integrate activities, resolve complex problems impacting project and activities.
- Apply business process improvement practices to: reengineer business and technical (e.g. IT systems) operations and develop solutions to complex federal modernization projects.
- Conduct analyses that: assess application of industry best practices, estimate cost savings, and determine if solutions match the desired system architecture objectives.
- Lead the design, planning and implementation management studies and projects, assisting in reviews of a wide variety of business operation issues, with extensive scope and impact throughout complex government organizations and for-profit businesses.
- Present ideas/solutions to clients.
- Lead facilitation sessions with clients and/or stakeholders to define business problems explore potential solutions.
- Other related duties as assigned, including serving as a consultant on projects in area of expertise.
- 7-10 years experience in systems engineering, including systems analysis, design and documentation.
- Familiarity with military, healthcare, and/or emergency response desirable.
- Strong ability to obtain requirements and translate them into specifications.
- Experience with DIACAP certification and Enterprise Architecture (preferably DoDAF) a plus.
- Bachelors degree in Industrial and Systems Engineering, Operations Research, Computer Science, or other related technical degrees (e.g. Engineering, Mathematics) plus experience in information technology required.
- Masters degree in Systems Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, MBA, MPH or other technical fields a preferred.
Security Clearance Level Required
- Strong ability to frame complex problems, synthesize information, and develop and communicate solutions.
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office (including Visio, Access), SharePoint, and Web Ex.
- Knowledge of database and IT system design.
- Capacity to lead projects and communicate with a variety of stakeholders.
- Flexibility and interest in working in a fast paced environment on mission critical projects.
- Excellent presentation skills and comfort in communicating with clients
- Comfort working on site at client offices and participating in internal corporate quality assurance process to ensure work products are up to standard
Security clearance desirable. Ability to pass federal security background check required.
Local travel in the Washington, DC metro area to support specific client and team meetings.
Afilon - 2 years ago