We are Looking for GREAT People to Help Fulfill Our Mission
WHY WORK AT PIVOTAL?
The technology industry is at the cusp of a once-in-a-generation transition; one that will transform the ways that infrastructure and applications will be built and used. We want pioneers, world-class experts, and those who refuse to accept the status quo. Armed with code, data, a defining culture, and a purposeful mission, our team is developing cutting-edge technology that fundamentally changes the way businesses operate and innovate.
At Pivotal, you can tackle the most challenging problems, unleash amazing opportunities, and build technologies that have real impact to business, people and the world.
Global demand for the services Pivotal’s Data Science team provides is spiking across leading vertical markets, with especially strong demand emerging out of the Financial Services markets. In response, Pivotal is looking for a seasoned leader of advanced analytics initiatives within the financial services sector to help lead our customer engagements and build thought leadership for this key market.
The Pivotal Principal Data Scientist for Financial Services Data Science will partner directly with her/his colleagues and team-members to successfully deliver on exciting new applications of predictive modeling and machine learning in financial use-cases, but also to drive recruiting and go-to-market strategies for the build-out of our offering to Retail Banking, Capital Markets, Securities, Fund Management, and Insurance sectors.
Similarly, this critical role will help Pivotal customers make sense of the new paradigms of in-database analytics, advanced forms of analytics on top of Hadoop, and the breadth of analytical tools available through Pivotal’s Platform. Working with her/his team, this role will drive the build-out of vertical-specific use-case demonstrations of predictive models built on our distributed computing stack.
• Partner directly with Data Science leadership and regional field, Pivotal R&D, and customers/prospects to establish a robust vision for the build-out of Pivotal’s Financial Services Data Science capabilities.
• While managing existing team members, lead the recruiting and onboarding of a larger Data Science team that addresses analytical knowledge requirements.
• Drive evangelization and education of Data Science services to Pivotal’s sales force, in particular educating the field on how to communicate the vision and value of advanced analytics, how to qualify interested prospects, and how to propose Data Science services.
• While working with customers and prospects, leverage significant experience directly working with data to define analytics use-cases that address customer requirements for value generation, and partner with Data Scientists to execute on these.
• Advise customers and prospects on technology and tool selection to best meet their emerging analytics requirements and to best drive value-generation on existing and future data.
• Lead relationship development and technology evaluation for new prospective regional analytics-centric partnerships.
• Work directly with customers to educate them on Pivotal’s technologies, analytical use-cases, pros/cons of emerging tools, etc.
• Assist in customer engagement management, requirements definition, project scoping, timeline management, and results documentation to ensure professional relationship management with regional customers.
• Travel, as needed, to meet with customers (roughly 15-20%).
• 10+ years of experience in the Financial Services sector and a proven passion for generating insights from data, with a strong familiarity with the higher-level trends in data growth, open-source platforms, and public data sets.
• A proven track record of building the function of data science, analytics as a service, or teams of data miners / machine-learning practitioners
• 5 to 10 years of experience in managing small to mid-sized teams, preferably in a services function.
• Significant experience evangelizing the value of data analytics to broad audiences.
• At least 10 years of work in a related role within the Financial Services sector, showing strong understanding of industry players, vertical market trends, and status of data utilization.
• Strong knowledge of statistical methods generally, and particularly in the areas of modeling and machine learning
• Experience working with a variety of statistical languages and packages, including R, S-Plus, SAS and Matlab, and/or Mahout
• Experience working with relational databases and/or distributed computing platforms, and their query interfaces, such as SQL, MapReduce, PIG, and Hive.
• Preferably, experience working hands-on with large-scale data sets
• Familiarity with additional programming languages, including Python, Java, and C/C++.
• Experience leveraging visualization software and techniques (including Tableau), and business intelligence (BI) software, such as Microstrategy, Cognos, Pentaho, etc.
• Technical knowledge of distributed computing platforms, and common data process flows from data instrumentation & generation, to ETL, to the data warehouse itself.
• Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in an analytical or technical field (e.g. applied mathematics, statistics, physics, computer science, operations research)
• A strong business-orientation, able to select the appropriate complex quantitative methodologies in response to specific business goals
• A team player, who is excited by and motivated by hard technical challenges
• Results-driven, self-motivated, self-starter
• Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills in English
• Ability to travel as-needed to meet with customers
Pivotal Payments is an independent payment processing provider, offering a full range of merchant services to small, medium and large-sized...