The nation's largest child advocacy association, National PTA, currently has an opening for a Leadership Development Manager located in Alexandria, Virginia. This position’s primary responsibility is conceptualizing, developing, managing and implementing National PTA’s eLearning programs from concept to posting online. The primary purpose of the online courses is to build the capacity at all levels of PTA volunteer leaders to effectively manage their associations, meet the standards of affiliation, increase family engagement with schools/communities and ensure student success. This person will develop course descriptions, create course outlines/layouts, build the course content (often times working with staff and/or member content experts), and collect best practice samples from the field to be included with the course and/or in an online resource library. This position will work closely with IT as they will take all the content/layout and build the courses using Adobe Captivate. Each course should be anywhere from 10-30 minutes in length. Course topics vary; sample topics are local unit president, effective meetings, planning your PTA year, board training and reflections 101.
This position has two other key responsibilities. One is managing and running the annual convention workshop call of proposals and review process. The other is being the account manager and internal trainer for webinars.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (Duties are illustrative and not inclusive and may vary with individual assignments.)
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Develop a short-term, annual, and long-term PTA eLearning plan, which builds capacity at all PTA levels (local unit, regional/district and state).
- Build online course content—conceptualize course; create course outline; develop and build course content, work with content experts as appropriate; build in at least one activity/course; build in an informal quiz at the end of the course; provide a dated printable certificate of completion at the end of the course; gather quick evaluation feedback; and include a review process that engages both members and staff. Look to state trainings as a reference and resource.
- Closely work with IT to take course content/layout and for them to build the course in Adobe Captivate. Voice over may be done by IT, you or another in-house person.
- Update required Standards of Affiliation (SOA) PowerPoint trainings. Create option for completing trainings online. Certificates will suffice to show states the member completed the course.
- Work with staff subject matter experts on yearly updating of the National Representative (Nat Rep) Workshop PPTs and handouts.
- All Implements effective teaching and learning techniques, utilizing the latest in adult training technology and delivery methods to advance National PTA’s mission and strategic vision.
- Set-Up each eLearning and online courses as events in PTA’s AMS, Personify. Analyze registration data monthly. Analyze other eLearning course data as needed.
- Maintain and update the eLearning, training webinar area of the website. Create a resource area on the web of samples (i.e., best practices) from the field around different areas of content/information.
- Analyze data from feedback mechanisms (i.e., events surveys, eLearning surveys, webinar surveys, community feedback) looking for trends and drawing insights/conclusions for new training ideas to better meet member participant needs.
- Solicits feedback from volunteers, competitive intelligence, and internal experts to create training content that adds member value and allows PTAs to effectively manage their associations, meet the standards of affiliation, increase family engagement with schools/communities and ensure student success.
- Oversees the expansion and development of E-Learning and other innovative means of providing training to the PTA network.
- Manages and runs the annual convention workshop process, including but not limited to: developing the timeline; creating workshop track/themes and topics; developing and sending out the call of proposals; working with the convention general arrangement around evaluating and selecting workshops; tracking speaker and workshop information, including but not limited to, titles, descriptions, time/dates, handouts, etc.; creating, processes and evaluating workshop evaluations.
- Manage the Webinar accounts. Create/Update training resources for internal staff around webinars. Staff webinars with content experts as necessary. Record and post webinars on the web as requested. Analyze data monthly. Run reports for staff as needed. Help staff with PPTs as requested.
- Periodically conduct staff hands-on training around good adult learning practices and or training tips.
- Provide support to member leadership meetings, committees, and/or in the search for plenary speakers at convention, as assigned.
- Performs other duties, as assigned and needed.
Education and Experience
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills are required. Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Initiative, drive, detail oriented, the ability to establish and maintain deadlines, are required, as well as the ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Excellent writing, verbal and interpersonal communication skills are required.
- Experience designing and promoting educational programs in an Association setting.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment
- Experience using web tools, e-learning tools, survey systems, AMS and database reporting is required. Adobe Captivate and Personify, a plus.
- Comprehensive understanding of adult learning methodologies and trends in adult education.
- Experience working with volunteers in an association at both the national and component level is desired.
- Knowledge of issues in the areas of education, children and parent/family is desired.
- Some travel is required.
National PTA offers competitive salary, medical, dental, life, LTD, 403 (b), transportation benefit, flexible spending accounts, EAP, paid vacation, sick, holiday and personal days. ONLY resumes including salary requirements will be considered. Send resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, National PTA, 1250 N. Pitt St., Alexandria, VA 22314, or via email: email@example.com . EOE. No phone calls, please. For information on National PTA, please visit our website: www.pta.org .
- Bachelor’s degree in adult education, communications, or related field or equivalent experience is required.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in the area of developing adult education programs and/or trainings, both web-based and in-person, preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in a training, membership, and/or chapter management role with a membership organization.
- Experience leading development of new online programs, preferred.