The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant societies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people.
We seek to strengthen the rule of law; respect for human rights, minorities, and a diversity of opinions; democratically elected governments; and a civil society that helps keep government power in check.
We help to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights.
We implement initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media.
We build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information.
Working in every part of the world, the Open Society Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.
The Talent Management and Organizational Effectiveness team, residing inside the broader function of Human Resources, is responsible for bringing a performance management as well as a learning and development function. The team’s mission is to create a culture of learning, where we cherish both successes as well as mistakes, and employees are empowered to fulfill their potential to make the field a better place. The team aims to do this by providing a performance management system that will allow the team to define what good looks like for the entire organization across every level of tenure, as well as by providing a learning and development offering that will encompass: training, peer-to-peer learning, coaching, mentoring, experiential learning, and e-learning opportunities to the Open Society staff. The team implements talent management strategies and drives effectiveness throughout the organization. Strategies include: professional development initiatives, trainings on management, leadership and team development, change management, financial literacy, and succession planning.
Purpose of Position
The learning and development coordinator will report to the human resources officer. The Talent Management and Organizational Effectiveness is a small, tightly-knit, collaborative, and fast-paced team based in New York, London, and Budapest. The learning and development coordinator is responsible for ensuring that the Talent Management and Organizational Effectiveness team has the programmatic and administrative support and information it needs to efficiently deliver services and resources to staff. Work is carried out independently/under general supervision.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Open Society may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
- Support the organization of training and learning activities, including: arranging logistics, such as space, invites, agenda distribution, collection and sharing of materials and other resources, and evaluation of activities;
- Provide support to head of internal learning on logistics related to internal learning initiatives in New York and around the globe;
- Research vendors, short list, help select, and likely implement and possibly administer Learning Management System;
- Support and develop change initiatives related to roll out of new learning and development activities;
- Negotiate and prepare terms of team, trainees, and trainers arrangements; process agreements into internal database system; and coordinate scheduling of team and trainees;
- Conduct research on issues, organizations, and other matters relevant to the work of the Talent Management and Organizational Effectiveness, and compile that research into concise, relevant material;
- Assist/contribute to the preparation of educational and training materials and other publications;
- Coordinate logistics for internal meetings, including scheduling, booking rooms, preparing materials, and setting up conference calls;
- Draft internal correspondence, meeting agendas, and other materials;
- Contribute to the design of agendas and materials for training and learning activities;
- Contribute to the Talent Management and Organizational Effectiveness communications efforts, through the drafting of articles or other documents on HR-related subject matters as requested;
- Provide presentations on the work of the Talent Management and Organizational Effectiveness team and related subjects as requested;
- Assist with onboarding new employees, coordinate with hiring managers, staff members, and HR generalist teams to ensure successful onboarding experience
- Process invoice payments through internal finance system;
- Providing general administrative support to the team;
- Preform other duties as assigned;
- Travel may be required.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university and three to five years of relevant experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience implementing Learning Management System is preferred.
- Proven ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment, to troubleshoot and follow projects through to completion, consistently on schedule, without loss of attention to detail and budget;
- Take initiative when appropriate as well as work well in a team;
- Comfortable with public speaking;
- Excellent written, verbal, organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent listening and communication skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences;
- Show discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
- High level of self-motivation and at ease working independently when necessary;
- Poised, work well under pressure, and attentive to detail;
- Flexibility and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects and ability to prioritize tasks;
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with senior management, co-workers, and the general public;
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office and experience with internet research.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements before November 29, 2013, to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Include job code in subject line: LDC-HR.