Leaves Information Specialist
Please Note: Position only open to internal NYC Department of Education employees
Position Summary: The Leaves Information Specialist provides customer service for all supervisory pedagogical staff employed by the New York City Department of Education (DOE) for leaves, sabbaticals, and separations from service; s/he also serves as back-up to assist with certification, licensing, eligibility, staffing, salary, and other supervisory services, as needed. Performs related work.
Reports to: Director, Office of Supervisory Support Services (OSSS)
Direct Reports: N/A
Key Relationships: Works closely with other departments in the Division of Human Resources and Talent (DHRT), such as the Leaves Unit and the Certification Unit; s/he also works with HR Directors, other field staff, and supervisors citywide.
- Processes sabbatical leave transactions for supervisors, including returns from leave.
- Processes terminal leave transactions for supervisors, including separation from service at the end of the leave or return to service during the leave, and assists with issues pertaining to their leaves or separations from service.
- Reviews all leave applications before processing.
- Processes separations from service for supervisory resignations and retirements.
- Assists supervisors and field personnel with issues pertaining to certification, licensing, eligibility, staffing, and salary.
- Processes personnel transactions, as needed.
- Investigates and trouble-shoots NYCAPS transaction issues, and escalates, as required.
- Serves as a liaison to Human Resources Directors and other personnel in the field regarding supervisory leaves and eligibility.
- Serves as a liaison to payroll secretaries regarding timekeeping issues pertaining to leaves.
- Ensures that all transactions are processed properly and in a timely fashion, and that personnel records are kept up to date.
- Addresses inquiries pertaining to equate dates, longevity, and salary issues, and processes any adjustments, as required.
- Provides basic support for back-office users of the Teachers Support Network (TSN) online application and C-30 tracking system, including password resets.
- Serves as back-up to assist supervisors and field personnel with issues pertaining to final entitlements.
- Provides phone and walk-in support on a contingency basis for the front office.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college; or
2. An associate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory, fulltime experience responding to inquiries in a customer service, help desk or public relations capacity, utilizing computers and information technology; or
3. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and four years of the satisfactory, full time experience described in "2" above; or
4. A satisfactory combination of education and experience. Satisfactory, full-time experience working for New York City government in a customer service, help desk or public information capacity, utilizing computers and information technology may be substituted on the basis of one year of NYC government work experience for two years of the experience described in "2" above. However, all candidates must possess a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent. College credit may be substituted for the experience in a customer service or public information capacity on the basis of 32 semester credits for each year of the experience described in "2" above. The above described education and experience must have included at least one year of satisfactory experience using computers to access information technology systems and databases for researching the answer to questions. Such experience acquired as part of post high school education is acceptable.
To be eligible for assignment to Assignment Level II, candidates must have, in addition to meeting the above Qualification Requirements, one more year of the satisfactory fulltime experience described in "2" above.
To be eligible for assignment to Assignment Level III, candidates must have, in addition to meeting the Qualification Requirements for Assignment Level I, two more years of the satisfactory full-time experience described in "2" above.
- Excellent verbal, listening, problem solving and coaching skills.
- Attention to detail and follow-through.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to research DOE DHRT and budget systems.
- Good attendance and work habits.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in a customer service environment.
- Experience in an educational organization.
- Experience analyzing and refining data.
Salary: $56,680 +
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
Applications will be accepted through March 7, 2013.
NOTE: The filling of all positions is subject to budget availability and/or grant funding.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. Inquiries regarding compliance with this equal opportunity policy may be directed to: Office of Equal Opportunity, 65 Court Street, Room 1102, Brooklyn, New York 11201, or visit the OEO website at http://schools.nyc.gov/OEO
New York, New York, United States
University comes from Latin for "the whole" and that's what they mean by The University of the State of New York (USNY). The...