Reporting to the Sr. VP and General Counsel, the incumbent performs a variety of legal secretarial and administrative duties. Responsibilities involve gathering and collecting legal documents in support of contractual agreements; supports Counsels with internal/external employment issues and other legal processes. Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics; and coordinating case preparations. Assists with general office support efforts, office administration and perform other duties as requested and assigned. Will serve as a backup to the other support staff as needed for office administration.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Prepare and process legal documents and papers, such as summonses, subpoenas, complaints, appeals and other legal/contractual agreements.
• Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics; coordinating case preparation.
• Performs necessary administrative tasks such as reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications; organizing client conferences, and attorney meetings; scheduling couriers, court reporters, expert witnesses, and other special functions; coordinating preparation of charts, graphs, and other media; preparing expense reports.
• Maintains Counsels’ calendars by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences, dispositions, and travel; recording and monitoring court appearance dates, pleadings, and filing requirements; monitoring evidence-gathering; anticipating changes in litigation or transaction preparation requirements.
• Provides comprehensive customer service, including delivery of accurate, prompt, and courteous assistance on complex policies, guidelines, and standard practices to internal and external customers, both verbally and in writing.
• Represents Counsel by communicating and obtaining information; following-up on delegated assignments; knowing when to act and when to refer matters to Counsel.
• Maintains client confidence by keeping client/attorney information confidential.
• Provides historical reference by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems; recording meeting discussions; maintaining transcripts; documenting and maintaining evidence.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading
• Performs related duties as assigned.
Skills & Competencies
• Specialized knowledge of legal principles and practices.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Skilled in researching and resolving problems in order to ensure compliance.
• Ability to explain complex policies and processes in layman’s terms.
• Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Office products
• Must have prior experience in using appropriate Legal tools/applications.
• Must have good organizational skills, attention to detail
• Ability to multi-task.
• Adapts to changes in the work environment.
• Ability to work in a team environment and well as independently
• Responds promptly to customer needs
Minimum Education & Training
• Associate of Arts degree, including paralegal courses
• Five years legal/administrative secretarial experience *
Environmental Working Conditions
Functioning in a corporate office environment utilizing phone, email, computer, and other necessary tools to support role.
Legal Sea Foods - 2 years ago
Legal Sea Foods was born in 1950 when George Berkowitz opened a fish market in the Inman Square neighborhood of Cambridge, Massachusetts. He...