Job Title: Legal Assistant I
Job ID: 03165
Division : Claims Legal
Work Location(s): United States-Missouri-Kansas City
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
This position is a support position and is clerical in nature. The selected candidate will be filing, preparing documents, handling mail, etc.
Provides specialized support functions necessary for the efficient handling of litigation defended or managed by the Claims Legal Department. Assists counsel with office procedures and day-to-day communications with company personnel, defense counsel, plaintiffs' attorneys, insureds, hospitals and clinics, courts and other members of the public.
- Legal Office Support (50%)
- Initiates and receives telephone calls for attorneys, taking messages, initiating responses and accurately relaying information. Schedules appointments, depositions, court appearances and authority for attorneys. Makes travel arrangements and reservations.
- Handles scheduling conferences for attorneys in instances where the attorney or paralegal are unavailable.
- Copies and assembles necessary file material referred to other individuals and sets up trial files for attorneys including logging in of new files, changing adjuster codes, action codes, etc. Recognizes and acts on rush activities.
- Prepares deposition and medical summaries, assists trial attorneys with trial preparation including the preparation of jury panel lists, coordinates support services such as exhibit enlargements, and assists in preparation of trial notebooks.
- Opens and distributes mail. Maintains legal files. Maintains law library by appropriately filing new material.
- Performs all the functions necessary to physically close a file including the boxing and shipping files for storage.
- Orders supplies for department. Reconciles orders to billing information and pay bills.
- Word Processing and Proofreading (40%)
- Transcribes, keyboards/types, handles and maintains confidential materials and information. Prepares templates to be used in case management system.
- Transcribes dictated letters, legal pleadings, subrogation and arbitration documents, legal briefs, affidavits, discovery documents, recorded statements, investigation reports, form letters, rough drafts, special project letters and agendas.
- Prepares subpoenas and jury instructions per directions. Screens and responds to incoming mail to relay and clarify information. Composes letters at attorney's or paralegal's direction.
- Proofreads all material before transmitting to originator, checking for spelling, punctuation, correct format, neatness, grammar, etc.
- Coordinates the management of attorneys' calendars, including court and other file related appearances, appointments, meetings and trip schedules.
- Maintains tickler system for file review and retrieves files for attorney in a timely manner. Obtains and monitors medical records requests of claimants and other required requests; forwards to outside counsel as needed.
- Technical Activities (10%)
- Performs computer functions, including draft requests, reserve changes, address changes, credits, logging in and out of files, etc.
- Works on special projects requiring the retrieval of data, specialized information, procedures and reports or attorney directed research.
- Maintains case management system entries for all required fields including opening files, profiling and scanning documents, calendaring, utilizing and maintaining task list, completing resolution screens and closing the file.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Achieve Results
- Be Accountable
- Maximize Customer Experience
- Concern for Quality
- Planning & Organizing
- Stress Management
- Basic knowledge and understanding of the workings of a legal office and the judicial system.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of legal, medical, and insurance policy terminology and concepts.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of legal ethics rules and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated experience performing clerical tasks such as preparing documents, filing, answering phones, scheduling meetings, and distributing mail.
- Demonstrated experience with various PC software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office Suites, Internet Explorer, Outlook, Acrobat, FrontPage).
- Demonstrated experience writing and proofreading documents for proper grammar and spelling.
- Keyboarding/typing ability at 45 wpm required.
- This position requires travel up to 5% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work with close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less) for extended periods of time.
- This position requires hand and finger dexterity between 66 and 100% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to reach with hands and arms between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to talk between 66 and 100% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to push up to 25 pounds between 33 and 66% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to push up to 50 pounds between 1 and 33% of the time.
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of background checks.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, life and dental insurance, a 401(K) plan, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave and the opportunity for career development. If you would like to put your career in motion apply online today!
Please review the job requirements.
American Family Insurance offers auto, home, life & annuities, health, business and farm & ranch insurance. We’ve expanded...