The Executive Legal Assistant position provides advanced-level support for the leadership of Chesapeake’s Corporate Legal Department. It requires superior attention to detail, good analytical abilities and writing skills, the ability to meet tight deadlines, great organizational skills, and the ability to juggle multiple priorities. The position also requires a proactive personality and the ability to communicate well among all levels within the company, including the highest executive and Board levels.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Performing advanced-level administrative work of a complex nature including managing schedules, arranging appointments and travel, planning meetings and conference calls, etc.
- Advanced administrative duties, e.g., project tracking, organizing and maintaining electronic files and/or research files, reporting, and approvals.
- Act as integral part of executive assistant team, ready to step in and assist other groups without hesitation as necessary.
- As needed, serving as coordinator and/or onsite assistant for meetings of the Board of Directors, Board Committees and executives, including managing catering, meals and entertainment and travel for members of the Board and executives. This may, in some cases, require travel to meetings and events that occur in other cities as well as some travel for advanced planning of meetings and events.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Knowledge of corporate legal terminology.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and strict confidentiality.
- Able to effectively manage time and prioritize projects in order to meet established deadlines.
- Possess excellent organization skills, attention to detail and an ability to produce high quality work under short time constraints.
- Demonstrate expert level understanding of computer systems and software applications, including Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Outlook, navigating the internet and department policies and procedures and ability to use and teach these skills.
- Able to learn company specific applications.
- Able to work and communicate effectively with, and exercise reasonable judgment when communicating with, all levels of co-workers and other external contacts, including executive officers and the Board of Directors.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Willing to work extended hours on occasion.
- General understanding of public company filings and experience researching public company filings through SEC EDGAR database or other research tools.
- Experience in managing closings of corporate transactions.
- Working knowledge of corporate secretary function, including general corporate secretary policies, proxy statement and annual meeting logistics and Board meeting planning, execution and documentation.
- Successful completion of a paralegal program or Associate’s Degree in Legal Studies.
- 3-5 years of corporate legal administrative and office support function experience.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Previous experience in a high-paced environment is desirable.
- Experience working with high level executives and board members.