Legal Assistant (Pleasanton, CA)
WE'RE ABOUT A BETTER TOMORROW.
As the number one natural nutrition company in the U.S., Shaklee has been making people healthier for over 50 years. And we've made it part of our job to make the planet healthier along the way. We were doing it back when green was just a color and biodegradable was barely a word. In fact, as early as 1960, we made one of the first biodegradable household cleaners ever. And we were the first company in the world to obtain Climate Neutral certification and totally offset our CO2 emissions, resulting in a net zero impact on the environment.
This position reports to the Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of Shaklee Corporation and provides a wide variety of paralegal services to support that function as well as those of other attorneys in the Legal Department. This position requires an in-depth knowledge of legal concepts, principles, terminology and procedures, as well as notarization commission, computer skills, and knowledge of the Company's corporate structure, policies and procedures. A high degree of accuracy and confidentiality are required for this position.
This position handles a wide variety of matters relating to the Company's corporate records, litigation and claims, product registrations, government relations, and documents management.
• Maintain corporate minute books for all Shaklee entities.
• Draft unanimous written consents for election of officers and directors and for other Board actions, as appropriate.
• Prepare Certificates of Secretary.
• Qualify Shaklee U.S. Holdings Corporation and its domestic subsidiaries in appropriate states. Direct work of CSC for legal representation service in all states where such corporations are registered to do business. Prepare and file annual information reports.
• Maintain and amend, as appropriate, Certificates of Incorporation and By-Laws of Shaklee U.S. Holdings Corporation and its domestic subsidiaries.
• Maintain Secretariat database of officers and directors and corporate data (e.g., date of incorporation, states in which qualified, authorized and outstanding capital stock, etc.).
• Obtain and maintain notary commission. Notarize documents as needed and maintain journal as required by law.
• Assist in designing and maintaining the Information Protection Program for Shaklee Corporation and its subsidiaries.
• Organize and maintain litigation files.
• Gather documents in litigation matters. Assist in responding to requests for production of documents and subpoenas.
• Log documents served on the Company, calendar response dates and process documents, as appropriate.
• File claims in bankruptcy and class actions and monitor proceedings.
• Assist with handling product claims, Better Business Bureau Consumer complaints, and Attorney General complaints.
• Review and make recommendations regarding grants for Shaklee Cares, a nonprofit corporation.
• File annual applications for renewal of State registrations of products.
• Handle offsite storage for the Company.
• Conduct legal research as requested.
• Track legislation and prepare position letters to legislators as requested.
• Update law library.
• Undergraduate degree and Paralegal Certificate (or, at the discretion of the General Counsel, a candidate might substitute equivalent experience in lieu of certification); Notary Commission.
• 2+ years of recent litigation paralegal experience required including production of documents and maintenance of case files.
• Organizational and analytical skills, including the ability to plan ahead to ensure that deadlines will be met.
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal); research skills, including knowledge of Lexis; ability to conduct interviews and to investigate issues using problem-solving techniques; computer skills, including competency in database applications; clerical skills, including filing and photocopying (position does not have administrative support).
• Ability to lift and move 30 lbs.
• Must work well with others and under pressure.
Shaklee Corporation is an EOE / Shaklee Corporation supports a smoke free workplace.
Shaklee - 16 months ago