POSTING TYPE: Open Competitive
DEPARTMENT: Attorney's Office
HIRING RANGE: $ 60,800 - 67,300/year (C-51 DBM Level)
LOCATION: Dakota County Judicial Center, Hastings
CLOSE DATE: 4:30 p.m. on Friday, April 12, 2013
To manage the daily administration of the County Attorney's Office; to prepare and manage the salary and line item portion of the annual budget; to supervise the Administrative Division support staff; to initiate and oversee all hiring for the County Attorney; handle personnel issues and participate in management level decisions to accomplish efficient and effective operation.
• Associate's Degree in Business, Public or Legal Administration or a related field AND Five years of progressively responsible legal or government office experience.
• Bachelor's Degree in Business, Public or Legal Administration or a related field AND Three years of progressively responsible legal or government office experience.
• Master's Degree in Business, Public or Legal Administration or a related field AND One year of progressively responsible legal or government office experience.
• Overall work experience must include at least 2 years of supervising administrative or program support staff.
Typing ability: 60 wpm
Duties & Responsibilities:
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
1. Project and recommend line item portions of annual budget; monitor expenditures and direct changes in spending throughout the year; review and approve all expenditures; oversee purchase of equipment and supplies; prepare and/or audit employees' salary adjustments.
2. Oversee and manage all Special Fund accounts by tracking revenue and approving all expenditures from these accounts; regularly auditing the accounts; and preparing year-end budget carryover requests.
3. Initiate all hiring actions for the County Attorney's Office and oversee all staff involved in the hiring process; draft job descriptions and job postings; prepare interview questions; participate in interview and hiring decisions; perform new hire orientation to the Office.
4. Plan, implement and manage space and equipment for short-term and long-term needs.
5. Supervise and evaluate performance of Administrative Division support staff and co-supervision, along with Division Heads, of Legal Office Supervisors.
6. Coordinate and monitor performance review dates for all Office staff and approve all support staff reviews office wide.
7. Handle office-wide personnel issues; analyze problems and make recommendations.
8. Participate as a member of the Management Team of the County Attorney's Office.
9. Complete special projects and complete surveys as requested.
10. Liaison with Employee Relations, Financial Services, and Risk Management on personnel and budget issues.
11. Represent the Office on county-wide and external working groups.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Duties 1-11 are essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment:
• Considerable knowledge of budget procedures and bookkeeping principles, attorney's Union Contract, classified and non-classified compensation plans, accounting, math and statistics.
• Considerable knowledge of legal office procedures, terminology, practices and procedures; knowledge of laws and regulations including data privacy, the Dakota County Personnel Act, Dakota County's hiring rules and policies.
• Ability to interpret procedures, policies and personnel practices.
• Ability to organize materials, analyze information, proficiency in problem-solving and independent decision-making.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to train, coach and supervise subordinates.
• Ability to exercise mature judgment.
• Considerable ability to work effectively with the public, department and County associates in a professional manner.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in a County office building. Lifting requirement of up to 20 pounds on an occasional basis. Equipment used may include, but is not limited to, computer, printer, calculator, telephone, fax, scanner and multi-function copy machines.
SELECTION PROCESS: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.