Under general supervision, performs a variety of secretarial tasks to support assigned attorneys and other timekeepers. Provides a high level of client service and support while producing a high volume of consistently excellent work products. Maintains a general knowledge of the Firm’s practice areas and a specialized knowledge of the assigned attorneys’ practice area(s) and clients in order to enhance and promote communication between attorneys and their clients and to provide excellent, personalized service to support attorney/client relationships. Ensures client service and satisfaction are attained in all areas of position.
1. Consistently promotes and models the Firm's Client Service Principles in teamwork, work product, and personal interaction.
2. Ensures exemplary client service to all internal and external clients; proactively promotes client service throughout department and among teams; responds to peer requests with recognition that request serves a client or Firm need.
1. Provides professional client relationship management with external clients.
2. Creates, edits, and proofreads complex and practice-specific legal documents, forms, and correspondence, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
3. In conjunction with Paralegals, may prepare or coordinate the preparation of Responses to Auditor Requests. Assists with preparation of Opinion Letters.
4. Creates and maintains client/matter lists and communication lists.
5. Organizes and accurately maintains physical and electronic documents and files in a timely manner. Creates and maintains working files and binders as requested. Utilizes Firm provided software to accurately store email messages, and maintain and retrieve files.
6. Utilizes Outlook to schedule appointments and calendar dates. Maintains contacts in Outlook.
7. Assists with timenote entry, including inputting timenotes, editing, proofreading, and closing them on a daily basis.
8. Demonstrates working knowledge of internet resources to perform basic legal research and print off cases, as requested.
9. Utilizes Ework software to open new matters, prepare engagement letters, and process conflict reports.
10. Collaborates with Client Account Manager and assigned timekeepers to manage billing process, including editing prebills, generating reports, and sending out final invoices. May assist with collection efforts. Coordinates client, matter and timekeeper inquiries.
11. Initiates client file transfer requests and assists with client disengagements.
12. May facilitate the secure transfer of case/client data in accordance with firm’s data security policy.
13. Provides backup support to other attorneys and timekeepers as needed. Volunteers for overflow work assignments when time permits and actively seeks to maximize productivity and promote teamwork. Participates in departmental projects designed to streamline workflow and/or resolve issues.
14. Acts and assists as a proactive mentor for junior staff and new employees. Assists with training regarding specific Firm processes and procedures as requested.
1. Answers telephones and relays messages. Arranges conference calls, video conferences and live meetings.
2. Copies, scans, faxes, and prints documents and attachments.
3. Prepares materials for mailing and overnight delivery, including printing, assembling, copying, and ensuring appropriate delivery.
4. Receives deliveries of items such as faxes, files, and boxes, and routes them appropriately.
5. Makes conference room reservations, coordinates meals, multimedia, and other services as requested.
6. Coordinates travel arrangements through the Firm’s travel department as requested.
7. Prepares expense reimbursements, arranges for payment of invoices, and prepares check requests as needed.
8. In conjunction with the Records Department, assists with the organization and preparations of materials for storage. Assists with maintaining high density storage area.
9. May participate in the organization and planning of events.
10. May assist in the preparation of marketing materials as requested.
1. Remains current in industry trends in Legal Secretary and the legal profession.
2. Ensures expertise in technology relevant to the position; proactively uses most current technology to further teamwork, client service, and efficiency.
Ensures compliance with the Firm's Confidentiality Policy, including safeguarding confidential and personal information, and reports any suspected breach appropriately and immediately.
Adheres to the Firm’s General Safety Practices and any unique safety practices for department and building.
Assumes additional Firm responsibilities as requested.
Education and Experience
1. High School Diploma required, Associate Degree preferred.
2. Minimum of 3 years recent Legal Secretarial experience, and/or 3 years of Administrative Secretary experience.
3. Experience working in a large law firm preferred.
Teamwork and Applied Skills
1. Strong organizational skills and the ability to apply strong attention to detail to all levels of work.
2. Ability to multi-task, prioritizes work, and meet deadlines.
3. Ability to work under pressure and complete job assignments in an accurate and timely manner.
4. Excellent communication skills and the ability to build effective internal and external client relationships.
5. Ability to interact effectively with all levels of management and staff and a variety of external entities including clients and prospective clients of the Firm.
6. Highly proficient with Windows-based software used by the firm, including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Mac Pac. Working knowledge of database, and time and attendance tracking applications.
7. Typing speed of 70 wpm with high level of accuracy.
8. Flexibility regarding work schedule and availability to work overtime required.
9. Excellent teamwork skills and commitment to delivering client service by assisting co-workers.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by employees in this job. It is not intended to be a complete list of responsibilities, duties, skills required for this job classification.
How to Apply
Only Online Applications will be considered. You will receive a confirmation of your application via email. No phone calls please.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Morrison & Foerster is not accepting resumes or referrals from agencies. If you are a recruiter, search firm, or employment agency, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if Morrison & Foerster hires the candidate.
Morrison & Foerster LLP
425 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
Morrison & Foerster is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Morrison & Foerster - 22 months ago