DLA Piper, a leader in the practice of law worldwide, seeks a Litigation and Corporate Legal Secretary for our Minneapolis, MN office. This position performs a broad range of high level administrative and secretarial support for attorneys and others timekeepers as assigned. Demonstrates ability to partner with teams in the effective and efficient support of a larger group of timekeepers and administrative staff.
- Prepares, edits, and proofreads a variety of documents, e.g. correspondence, agreements, pleadings, spreadsheets and presentations. Manages and assists with complex document production. Prepares and submits court filings. May require use of transcription/dictation equipment.
- Delegates/inputs time entry, tracks WIP and A/R, reviews and edits pre-bills for submission to accounting.
- Exercises judgment and delegates administrative tasks as needed to the appropriate firm resources, e.g., Business Center, VPC, other Legal Secretaries, and/or Project Team Specialist/Assistant. When delegating, maintains responsibility for and tracks all activities/tasks/projects to successful completion.
- Maintains calendars to include coordination and scheduling meetings, depositions, conference calls and WebEx, sends calendar invites and reminders, reserves conference rooms/off-site venues and visitor offices, tracks deadlines and status of cases/matters, and updates Docketing Department on court deadlines.
- Coordinates travel arrangements with firm-designated travel agencies. Processes expense reimbursements.
- Works with Records and Accounting on New Business intake to request new files, client/matter numbers, and assist with the conflicts process. Works with teams to consolidate and organize files at the close of the matter.
- Answers telephones taking detailed messages. At request of attorneys, provides follow up and interacts with clients, outside counsel and others.
- Maintains and updates contact lists, creates labels from lists and coordinates mailings as directed by timekeepers.
- Retrieves information from various online resources and databases.
- Receives, sorts and distributes daily incoming mail and packages (e.g., UPS, Federal Express, hand deliveries) on behalf of timekeepers.
- Assists timekeepers with administrative tasks related to attorney compliance requirements and professional organizations.
- Maintains confidential information in a professional and trustworthy manner.
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma required.
- Five plus years secretarial and administrative experience in a law firm or professional services organization.
- Litigation experience required.
- Corporate (transactional) skills desired.
- Must have intermediate to advanced technical skills in Microsoft Office
- Strong organizational, delegation and communications skills required as well as excellent attention to detail and ability to work successfully as part of a team
About DLA Piper
DLA Piper is one of the largest business law firms in the world and one of the most recognized law firm brands globally. In just eight years since our firm’s founding, we have established ourselves as an innovative and entrepreneurial firm that is deeply committed to our global core values of people, clients and community. In fact, it is the individual members of the DLA Piper team—the combination of talented lawyers and business professionals working together—that define our success and drive our growth.
DLA Piper provides its employees with highly competitive salaries and benefits, including eligibility for year-end bonuses, profit sharing eligibility, a generous paid-time-off policy and a 401k plan. Employees are recognized and rewarded for their achievements through annual performance evaluations and salary reviews. The firm encourages ongoing personal development and supports a healthy work/life balance.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by visiting the Careers section of our website, completing the online application and submitting a cover letter to include salary history.
DLA Piper Careers
DLA Piper is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or Protected Veteran status.
Agency applications will not be considered.