This Legal Secretary position will be working out of our Harleysville Mt. Laurel, NJ office.
Prior Legal Secretary experience required. Qualified candidates will be very computer proficient and have great dictation and typing skills.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs a variety of legal secretarial and administrative support duties for assigned attorney(s), many of which are unique to a legal environment and require a working knowledge of property casualty operations, legal concepts, terminology, and processes.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Trial Office Supervisor
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Maintains a working knowledge of filing fees, filing periods, court peculiarities and procedural differences of all courts and/or workers compensation boards.
2. Prepares documents such as entries of appearance, notices of depositions, requests for production, retrieving and using appropriate information from specific files, etc.
3. Types complex legal pleadings, briefs, correspondence, memoranda, reports, discovery notices, responses and motions, ending with a final product suitable for filing. May transcribe dictation.
4. Maintains a daily calendar in internal management system for attorney(s). Responsible for reminders to attorney(s) on all pleadings and discovery matters.
5. Schedules depositions, judicial conferences, meeting with clients, doctors and other counsel for assigned attorney(s).
6. May travel to courthouses to check court dockets and retrieve information on service of process, etc. and to make filings with the Courts. Also, may travel to law offices or elsewhere to make filings, deliveries, and pickups.
7. Understands and maintains confidentiality in respect to the attorney-client relationship, HIPPA, trial strategies, Ethics rules, the identities of plaintiff, defense clients and claims customers.
8. Has working knowledge of each file assigned to attorney(s); knows parties involved, basic facts, general discovery, arbitration or trial status, and major discovery to be accomplished. Inputs and retrieves information through matter management system.
9. Answers telephone, takes messages, and handles more complex inquiries. Directs or redirects calls, and pulls related files as necessary.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Education: High school graduate or equivalent. Formal technical legal secretarial training at a business or technical school preferred.
Experience: Three years experience as a Legal Secretary in a law office. Prefer experience in insurance defense litigation.
Knowledge: General office practice and procedures. Legal concepts, terminology, and processes. Operations, practices, and procedures of a law office engaged in the practice of civil litigation. Filing procedures of the various courts handled by the office. Working knowledge of legal concepts, terminology, and processes.
Skills/ Competencies: Type 80 wpm. Shorthand at 100 wpm (optional based on office). Command of verbal and written communication skills for contact and interaction with as attorneys, court personnel, policyholders, and claims staff. Ability to operate business machines such as photocopier, calculator, transcriber, and personal computer with business and legal software.
Staffing Exceptions: Staffing exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: Vice President and HR Officer.
Overtime eligibility: Eligible (non exempt) Occasional overtime.
Working Conditions: Professional law office environment. Local travel.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some associates assigned to the job to performs a somewhat different combination of duties.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company - 15 months ago