LEGAL SERVICES COORDINATOR
DEPARTMENT OF LEGAL SERVICES
The Family Center is a not-for-profit organization providing social and legal services to individuals and families affected by severe illness. We offer legal and social services which are confidential and available in multiple languages. Our multidisciplinary approach provides necessary infrastructure for clients by helping them to successfully achieve legal and social services goals. We practice in a number of substantive areas including: (1) Lifetime Planning; (2) Family Law; (3) Income maintenance/public benefits; and (4) Housing. The demand for our services is great and we meet with clients in our offices, their homes, hospitals and local Community-Based Organizations.
The Family Center seeks a Legal Services Coordinator who will be at the heart of our legal work. The successful candidate will assist the members of the Legal Services Department in the provision of a range of services to clients including home visits, document preparation, court filings and the representation of clients before administrative courts. The Legal Services Coordinator reports to the Director of Legal Services in The Family Center’s Brooklyn office. Tasks include:
• Providing administrative support for the Legal Services Department including phones, filing, word processing and data management, court filings and arranging for service of process;
• Providing home and agency-based services to clients on advanced directives;
• Case management to clients, including the gathering and updating of client medical information;
• Representing clients before government and administrative agencies at fair hearings and Federal Disability hearings;
• Interviewing clients in the office, the client's home, or other appropriate venue;
• Maintaining proper files and assisting in the preparation of reports, proposals and other documents;
• Special projects as requested.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Strong organizational, communication, and computer skills
• Demonstrated interest in non-profit work
• Bilingual (Spanish/English), strongly preferred
Please email a resume, cover letter and one writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the words "Legal Services Coordinator Application,” in the subject line of the e-mail.
The Family Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Family Center is covered under FMLA.
- 23 months ago - save job