Post Date: 2/25/2013
POSITION PURPOSE AND REPORTING STRUCTURE:
This position reports to the Director of Intellectual Property Strategy and Product Compliance. This position will be the main point of contact at Master Lock Company and Waterloo Industries for most U.S. and international legal communications between engineers, sourcing, QA, product managers, external design firms and internal and external legal counsel. This position will generally not be involved in patent-related matters. Primary responsibility involves managing product regulatory compliance issues, trademarks/copyrights, domain names, agreements, product liability claims and licensing programs, conducting strategic due diligence activities related to M&A matters, and assisting in negotiating licensing agreements with outside partners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the product compliance program including establishing risk analysis of current product and packaging portfolio, conducting compliance audits, working with suppliers to obtain MSDS certifications and/or coordinating outside lab testing, managing Compliance Test Plans, issuing Corrective Action Reports and deviations and updating Engineering Specifications incorporating up-to-date international legal requirements, managing Proposition 65 litigation in US and REACH requirements in Europe, and developing ongoing improvements to quality and product compliance processes to meet new international regulatory requirements.
- Maintain Master Lock Company and Waterloo Industries legal correspondence files and docketing database including agreements and product compliance records.
- Conduct legal packaging reviews for international labeling compliance, country of origin marking and trademark reviews.
- Monitor litigation activity for all key competitors, track certain cases and update watches for new competitors, suppliers and potential partners.
- Review, submit, track and record trademarks, copyrights and domain names.
- Assist in negotiating license agreements and management of royalty/licensing program.
-Support litigation and opposition matters.
- Manage product liability claims including coordination and reporting with third party insurance agent and claimant negotiations.
- Coordinate all anti-counterfeit activities with Chinese Customs and outside Chinese counsel including issuing bonds, managing seizures and any subsequent civil litigation matters.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
•BA or BS, preferably in engineering or a technical field.
•At least 5 years exposure within the manufacturing industry, preferably in a legal role.
•Experience with legal agreements and/or product regulatory compliance required.
•Strong interpersonal skills coupled with strong written and verbal communication skills.
•Ability to manage US and international outside counsel, coordinate with parent company’s internal legal department, translate legal jargon and communicate this information throughout the organization in easy, understandable terms.
•Strong organizational skills.
Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc.
- 2 years ago - save job