The National Governors Association seeks a professional to assist with the association’s advocacy efforts involving homeland security, emergency management, criminal justice, the National Guard and veterans affairs. The Committee on Health and Homeland Security develops policy, plans and implements lobbying activities and serves as the principal liaison between governors and federal policy makers.
• Formulate policy positions;
• Facilitate discussion and build consensus;
• Analyze federal legislation and regulations;
• Effectively communicate legislative priorities;
• Collaborate and work in a team environment.
Bachelor’s Degree plus lobbying or representation experience. Graduate degree a plus. The ideal candidate will have an understanding of homeland security, criminal justice and National Guard issues. Necessary qualifications are:
• Experience (3-5 years) in policy formulation and analysis as well as knowledge in the substantive policy areas listed above;
• Excellent oral and written communication and analytic skills;
• Interpersonal and management skills necessary to coordinate a number of diverse policy activities;
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and assume responsibility;
• An understanding of federal and/or state governmental policy and legislative processes. State or federal government experience is a plus;
• Experience on the Hill is highly desired.
Salary and title commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform background checking.