A new opportunity exists at Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA), the leading nonprofit dedicated to serving our nation’|
s heroes and their families. IAVA is seeking an ambitious young professional to manage, grow and engage our 200,000 veterans and supporters.
IAVA is seeking a highly effective strategic thinker to lead our legislative team and advocacy efforts. The Legislative Director needs to be able to move quickly, draft plans that reflect the best practices of advocacy campaigns, innovate new best practices, execute plans under dynamic conditions, and lead a smart, committed team in an exceptionally fast-paced environment.
Reporting to IAVA’s Chief Policy Officer in the Washington, DC office, the Legislative Director will represent Iraq and Afghanistan veterans on Capitol Hill and is open only to Iraq and Afghanistan veterans.
Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) is the nation’s first and largest organization dedicated to serving the 2.5 million veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, from their first day home to the rest of their lives. IAVA strives to build an empowered generation of veterans through programs in four key impact areas: Health, Education, Employment and Community.
- Health - IAVA makes it a priority to ensure that both mental and physical health needs are being effectively addressed in our community, and has provided support to over 20,000 returning veterans nationwide.
- Education - With nearly a million new veterans headed back to school under the New GI Bill, IAVA has provided over 500,000 with the tools and support needed to make informed decisions about their education.
- Employment - No veteran should come home from Iraq or Afghanistan to an unemployment check. To fight shockingly high joblessness rates, IAVA’s Combat to Career initiative helped over 270,000 veterans in their transition to civilian careers in 2011.
- Community - Less than 1% of the country served in Iraq and Afghanistan – a stark contrast to the 12% that served during WWII. Building community, both online and on-the-ground, is a critical factor in fulfilling IAVA’s mission, which means bridging geographical divides to create a united, supported and proud movement of new veterans.
- Collaborate with IAVA’s Chief Policy Officer to plan advocacy strategies for multiple issues simultaneously.
- Oversee initial and long-term implementation of advocacy strategies.
- Effectively manage the legislative team.
- Direct IAVA’s person-to-person advocacy efforts on Capitol Hill and with the Administration.
- Represent IAVA effectively with the Administration and with Congress, as well as in the national and local media and at public events.
- Oversee and execute legislative negotiations.
- Coordinate relationship development.
- Draft and deliver Congressional testimonies.
- Draft and support timely completion of the annual Policy Agenda in collaboration with the Chief Policy Officer and Research Director.
- Assist in directing IAVA’s Storm the Hill Program from designing the advocacy campaign, to training members and managing relationships with representatives.
- Extensive leadership, organizational, and strategic-planning experience. An ideal candidate has worked as a manager or director in a policy advocacy, or campaign environment, overseeing a talented and hard-working staff under significant time constraints.
- Impeccable writing skills and a strong facility with public speaking. The LD must be able to develop a deep understanding of a policy issue and translate that understanding into a concise message for wide public consumption.
- 2-3 years of experience overseeing a team in an advocacy environment or on Capitol Hill.
- Expertise in military and veterans’ issues or a military fellowship on Capitol Hill a plus.
- One or more tours in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and/or Operation New Dawn (OND).
- Media experience a plus.
Start Date : Immediate
- Strong analytical thinking.
- Impeccable writing and editing for audiences both internal and external to the organization.
- Comfortable with frequent public speaking
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to manage tight timelines, simultaneous projects, team responsibilities, and external expectations.
- Teaching and mentorship skills.
- Organizational and management skills.
- A dedication to quality – perfectionists welcome.
- A commitment to IAVA’s mission and core values.
- A sense of humor.
Application Deadline : Rolling
Salary : Commensurate with experience.
Benefits : IAVA provides a range of benefit packages and three weeks paid vacation per year.
To Apply : Send your resume, cover letter , salary history and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org , with your name and “Legislative Director” in the subject line. Include a cover letter that concisely explains how your experience in online communications could be applied to IAVA. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
Iraq Afghanistan Veterans of America - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard