Level Designer (multiple openings)
Reports To: Design Group Manager
A Level Designer is a mid level position and is expected to be able to fulfill different roles dependant on the project they are allocated to. These roles can vary from ownership and implementation of series of levels to a Sub Lead Role supporting a Senior Lead.
Description of Current Required Tasks:
Summary: Level Layout Design
- Creates level layouts and features.
- Translates game design into playable levels.
- This position involves using specialized tools to edit game data, working within an overall game design established by others.
- Develops scripts
- Manage and assist in developing individual work schedule, track personal tasks, and alert lead to any changes in planned schedule or tasks
- Works closely with project team members to execute design and work through design revisions as needed.
- Works with team to define creative vision and fun factor
Description of Other Likely Future Tasks:
- Plan and direct development of player experiences.
- Direct Junior Game Designers and/or Coops and Interns.
- Help generate requirements for other disciplines such as level artists and tools programmers.
- When in a leadership position, estimating tasks and participating in the formation and tracking of schedules and project close out.
- Assist and mentor other Design staff.
- Work closely with project team members to execute design and work through design revisions as needed.
- Work with project team to define and maintain creative vision.
- Create and update Game Proposals and Game Design Documents based on Licensor specifications.
- Work closely with the Producer to ensure scope and milestones are met.
- Previous experience in a level design position with multiple completed game products is necessary.
- It is normally expected that a candidate would have a minimum of 3 years experience in a Level Design role.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills is necessary.
- An ability to read and use C syntax based scripting languages a plus.
- An ability to use 3DStudio Max, or Maya or Unreal Ed or Radiant or similar 3D Editors is expected.
- Awareness of current industry trends is expected.
- Study of visual design, computer programming, human/computer interaction, media studies, ludology, and/or literary criticism, sufficient to train others is expected.
- Knowledge of a variety of types of games.
- Introductory-level computer programming may be helpful to implement scripted behaviors.
- Study or knowledge of the fundamentals of graphic design, architecture, interior decoration, or landscaping is helpful.
United States-New York-Albany