Scholarly Resources and Research Services
Upper 30’s to low 40’s
The Humanities Research Librarian will serve as liaison for History, Philosophy and Classical Studies.
Primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
service hours are required;
- Provide user education, collection development and outreach to faculty and students in the assigned disciplines;
- Provide reference service, in person and online;
- Design and facilitate information literacy workshops appropriate to varied audiences, including sessions inside and outside of the library building and online library-related instructional resources to support the curriculum in the assigned disciplines;
- Communicate with faculty in assigned areas to increase the visibility of the library and to facilitate development and assessment of the library’s collections;
- Integrate library resources into teaching and learning in the humanities as part of the new university curriculum;
- Participate in relevant library and campus committee meetings and scheduled reference
Education and Experience
- Other duties as assigned, including on library and university committees
Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution and Bachelor’s degree with a major in history, philosophy or classics are required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Candidate must demonstrate strong verbal and interpersonal skills with the ability to work collegially with faculty, staff and students. Must also demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in writing. A strong customer service orientation and a commitment to public service are essential.
Candidate must possess strong presentation skills with the ability to speak to large groups. Familiarity with and experience using innovative library technology is essential.
Candidate must demonstrate a strong knowledge and understanding of information literacy, reference and collection development best practices, current issues, and trends.
Priority Consideration Date
Priority consideration may be given to submissions received by January 25, 2013
Deadline to Apply
February 1, 2013
SMU will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status. SMU's commitment to equal opportunity includes nondiscrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity and expression.
Southern Methodist University - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard