MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS : |
· Bachelor’s Degree AND paid or unpaid work experience in a library setting
Must have own means of reliable transportation for business purposes; individuals operating a motor vehicle for County business must possess a valid driver's license.
Offer of employment will be contingent upon passing a fingerprint criminal history investigation at County expense prior to beginning employment with Washington County.
RESPONSIBILITIES : Provides information, research and readers' advisory services and instructs customers on use of library resources and technology. Coordinates programs and develops activities to improve library services.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE :
SELECTION TECHNIQUE : Your training and experience will be rated based on the required application material submitted and the top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science
- Previous work experience analyzing customers' needs through reference interviews and experience in information searching and retrieval
- Previous work experience facilitating customers' use of computers, Microsoft Office, Internet and other online resources
- Previous work experience coordinating programs and projects
- Previous work experience developing community partnerships
HOURS / DAYS : 20 hours per week, to include day, evening and weekend hours. Work schedules (hours and days) and location are subject to change based on department needs.
ANTICIPATED HIRING RATE : $22,267-$30,472/annually
This is a professional position responsible for providing information and research services to library customers. This position is also responsible for planning and implementing a professional library project, or for classifying and cataloging library materials. Work requires the exercise of independent judgment and interpretation and is performed under general supervision with periodic review for accuracy and conformance with prescribed standards.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Education and Experience: Bachelors Degree and paid or unpaid work experience in a library setting. Masters Degree in Library Science or related field is desirable.
Must have own means of reliable transportation for business purposes. Individuals operating a motor vehicle for county business must possess a valid driver's license.
Knowledge of: Knowledge of the mission and role of public/law libraries; books, materials and resources related to area of assignment; materials cataloging and classification; use of catalogs and reference materials; current technologies; familiarity with the principles of librarianship as applied to the specific topic area of the job, e.g. public librarianship, law librarianship.
Ability to: Ability to serve, at appropriate levels, diverse individuals; provide reference services; learn and use new technologies; read, comprehend and orally communicate English; conduct oneself with tact and diplomacy when interacting with other employees and the public; report to work on a regular and timely basis.
Skill in: Skill in interpersonal communication with customers and staff including conflict resolution; utilization of current computer technologies employed in public/law library settings.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
1. Analyses customers needs and provides information and research services.
2. Shows customers how to search for information on the Internet and in other online resources.
3. Provides instruction to customers on the use of library facilities, resources, equipment and technology.
4. Develops, recommends, implements and monitors on-going programs for a diverse population. Program topics may include areas such as storytelling and literacy skills for children, book talks for adults, electronic resources and collection maintenance.
5. Routinely assigned as person-in-charge of a branch library.
6. Catalogs and classifies library materials through revision or creation of catalog records.
7. Develops, recommends, and implements policies and procedures for catalog content, currency and use.
8. Develops and maintains professional relationships with other County and community orgainizations and resources.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: #1-8 as listed above.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Indoor work with occasional lifting of 10 to 15 pounds. Frequent wrist and finger manipulation due to high concentration of computer work. Equipment used may include, but is not limited to, electronic reading, listening and viewing devices, personal computers, computer terminals, telephone, and copy and fax machines. Requires significant public contact with a diversity of people. Additional physical/mental requirements may not be listed above, but are inherent in performing the position's essential functions.
TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR - Library Group/Division Manager or Deputy Director or Director
This description is intended to describe the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty being performed by people assigned to this classification. This list of responsibilities is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Washington County, MN - 17 months ago