Responsible for providing professional reference and reader’s advisory services to library patrons. Also, responsible for assisting library users with library technologies and online resources & technologies.
Essential Job Functions
Resolve patron problems and interpret policies.
Provide professional reference, reader’s advisory, and programs to library users.
Carry out special project assignments.
Provide assistance with online resources and the Internet to a large number of computer users.
Perform basic hardware and software troubleshooting.
Provide instructional classes on the Internet and other online resources, and present educational programs, as assigned.
Stay apprised of new resources through continuing education, professional journals and training.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
One or more of the following are preferred qualifications for this position
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- 1-3 years of professional public library experience.
- Advanced graduate level coursework or working knowledge of library technologies and online resources.
- Training or experience in working with mainstream social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, GoodReads, etc.) in a public library setting.
- Primary responsibility for producing news releases, newsletters and other publicity for an organization.
Licenses & Certifications
- Comprehensive knowledge of current practices in public libraries, including reference services, reader's advisory, and library technology
- Comprehensive knowledge of online resources
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and congenially with others
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to handle customer issues and complaints appropriately
- Ability to work closely with others as part of a team
- Skill in creating content using social media tools (e.g. Flickr, YouTube, etc.)
Valid Class C driver's license
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment but some physical labor, exposure to dust and travel to various sites may occur. Physical tasks will include lifting, squatting, bending, stooping, walking, and carrying supplies, as needed, to accomplish the tasks of the activity on a daily basis. Primary environment will be in a climate controlled, indoor atmosphere.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
Master's Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited college or university
Up to 1 year related experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job
City of Garland - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard