The Charles Barrows STEM Academy will focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
Students will receive a rigorous, well-rounded education with an inquiry-based instructional approach. Engineering experiences will be integrated across the curriculum; technology use and training will be infused in all core and elective courses.
The school will be designed for students who enjoy challenges and investigating the world around them. Teachers will use inquiry based instruction to deliver an innovative, hands-on curriculum. Instruction will center learning on science, technology, engineering and math as they impact the real world. The engineering curriculum will allow students to work on design and construction projects that integrate their math, science, technology and communication skills.
Features of the STEM School
1. A STEM curriculum for grades
2. Inquiry-based instruction with an emphasis on creative thinking in all academic coursework
3. An instructional model reflective of 21st century skills
4. University partnerships that provide STEM preparation and professional development for teachers, parents and support staff
5. An interdisciplinary approach to curriculum developing students' understanding of STEM concepts
6. Participation in extra-curricular and co-curricular activities expanding learning opportunities in the STEM fields
7. Industry partnerships to ensure authentic, hands-on learning opportunities
Strong writing and communication skills required.
Afterschool program participation required.
Previous participation in STEM/Inquiry
related professional development/programming
Mandatory 2 week summer training
Extended school day
: Competitive salary commensurate with experience and educational level; extended day differential.
For more information and to apply please visit
www.eastconn.org and complete our online application.