Under general supervision, provides a variety of services to patrons; assists public with acquiring the knowledge and skills to utilize available resources of the library; promotes library and its services to accommodate and fulfill the needs of the community.
Essential Job Functions:
Essential Job Functions : Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
· Circulates materials and coordinates patron service; processes book requests; researches multiple databases to determine availability of items and correct source of borrowing; administers book checking in and out procedures; authorizes and initiates book renewals; creates new patrons records.
· Prepares, generates and reviews and mails overdue notices; refers delinquent accounts to central collections as required; identifies unreturned materials that are lost, missing or damaged for removal from computerized database.
· Acts as first point of contact with public in person and by phone; evaluates and refers incoming calls to appropriate staff members; coordinates and communicates with a variety of organizations to promote available library services and programs to the public.
· Processes holds on items requested by patrons; enters information into automated circulation system; advises patrons on status of requests; notifies patrons when items are available; locates and routes materials to other branches as requested.
· Performs routine maintenance on, troubleshoots and installs updates on computers and peripherals; schedules repairs on items beyond the capabilities of library staff; assists patrons in the use of general purpose computers and specialized software; assists information systems technician as required.
· Provides information and interpretation concerning library services, policies and procedures.
· Coordinates and implements recruitment efforts to attract and attain volunteer tutors; trains and supervises volunteers; monitors progress of literacy students and tutors; provides materials, support and recommendations for improvement; conducts follow up action.
· Coordinates and performs work site visits; organizes and conducts BFFL outreach programs and activities to include ESL adult literacy and fundraisers; attends and participates in a variety of meetings, workshops and training sessions.
· Identifies, orders and maintains general and specialized offices supplies and equipment; performs minor repair of books and audio visual equipment
· Gathers, compiles and analyzes computerized statistical data for ongoing library records; develops and prepares forms, reports and related documents; maintains and files paperwork; maintains records of grants, letters and other material; searches and utilizes on-line resources sites for programs, reports, activities collection materials and other functions.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· A high school diploma or GED equivalent certificate; some college preferred.
· Two (2) years experience in libraries, teaching, bookstores, or working directly with the public.
· A State of California driver’s license may be required.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
· Work is performed in an office environment.
· May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
· May be exposed to potential physical harm, hazardous chemicals and infectious diseases.
Butte County, CA - 15 months ago