Responsible for providing direct assistance to library patrons in reference, periodical searches, and alternative media use.
Essential Job Functions
1) Assess patron needs and provide assistance using printed materials, automated databases and other library technologies.
2) Instruct patrons in the basic usage of the Internet, automated or online services and resources, and other library technologies.
3) Instruct library patrons in the use of library equipment, including microfilm reader/ printers, computers, and print management and PC reservation systems.
4) Respond and resolve requests for library materials, services and information or refer to librarians as needed.
5) Complete special projects, as assigned, to assist librarians with collection development, programs or library services.
6) Act as a back up for the circulation desk staff.
7) Organize and shelve or file materials appropriately, such as alphabetically or by Dewey decimal classification number.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
Bachelor's degree in library studies, library science or related field of study
Up to 1 year experience in public library
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Basic knowledge of the Dewey Decimal Classification system
Basic knowledge of library automated system functions
Basic knowledge of library material and information organization systems
Knowledge of proper public contact and telephone etiquette
Skill in assisting with circulation desk activities including shelving and retrieving books
Skill in utilizing Windows-based software
Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns
Ability to organize work for appropriate and timely completion
Ability to work independently in the absence of the supervisor
Ability to easily adjust to fluctuating work schedules and work from any library or unit, as assigned
Licenses & Certifications
Valid Class C Texas driver's license
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical library environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Must be able to reach materials at 90” height shelving or shelving at floor level, push/pull 200 lb. loaded book cart, regularly left up to 50 pound bins, utilize keyboard and peripherals, etc.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
Four year college degree
Under and including 1 year experience in public library or customer service work environment
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.