In furtherance of the mission of the School for Officer Training, the Library Assistant supports the training and development of men and women for Salvation Army ministry through provision of excellence in library services.
The Library Assistant reports to the Library Director, and works closely with the Assistant Librarian. The library staff work as a team to cover the full range of library support services.
Key responsibilities include:
The duties include, but are not limited to:
· Helping patrons find materials and use databases; helping patrons learn how to use a library to complete their learning objectives. This includes finding material on Salvation Army and biblical subjects, and helping patrons who speak Spanish
· Acquiring and processing library materials, including downloading cataloging records and maintaining them accurately
· Maintaining periodical subscriptions
· Processing library invoices
· Preserving materials by repairing, binding, or scanning into digital documents
· Shelving materials and maintaining shelf order; assisting with inventory and weeding
· Registering patrons, and checking items in and out
· Providing library coverage, including 1 Saturday a month during the school year, and coordinating student assistant coverage
· Producing statistical reports
Minimum education and experience
· Two years of college required. Bachelors degree preferred
· Two years of work experience required. Work related to library, research, or education preferred
Special skills, certificates, etc.
This job requires
· Knowledge of the Bible and Christianity
· Good computer skills
· Fluency in both English and Spanish
The ideal candidate has a strong Christian character and devotion to Christian service and higher education, acting as a model for the cadets in training. S/he is
· Mission focused, keeping in view both the purpose of the library and the purpose of the task in hand
· A strong team player and excellent communicator
· Mature and professional
· Courteous, with a positive attitude toward all people
· Detail oriented, and careful in following instructions
· Eager to learn and to work hard
201 Lafayette Ave.
Suffern, , New York 10901
Phone: (845) 368-7209
Battling to provide social services, The Salvation Army is more than 4 million strong -- including some 3.4 million registered volunteers....