Performs a wide variety of general library work.
Examples of Duties:
- check-out and check-in books at the circulation desk
- register patrons for library cards and Internet use
- greet patrons and direct them to various locations and resources within the library
- answer the telephone
- receive and resolve minor complaints or refer the public to a librarian
- collect and record fines and fees while operating a cash register
- perform other routine circulation desk duties
- help patrons find needed materials in the library
- help patrons in accessing information on a computer (including the Internet)
- assist with other duties as needed
Education: At least a high school diploma; some college desirable.
Experience: Prior related experience helpful but not required.
Other Skills and Qualifications Needed:
- attention to detail
- friendly personality
- ability to deal effectively with the public and to present a positive public image
- ability to work with other staff in a team environment
- interest in reading and a knowledge of books
- ability to relate positively to children and adults
- requires responsible person with a commitment to public service
- knowledge of computers
Work is performed primarily in a library environment while sitting at a desk or standing at a computer terminal or counter for extended periods of time. Must have the ability to stand and be mobile for duration of shift.
Physical exertion is required to lift office supplies and library materials from overhead and from the floor. Must have the ability to continually lift light objects and occasionally lift heavy objects. Often times, the employee must move, shelve and retrieve library materials from high and low settings.
Sufficient vision or other powers of observation are essential to permit the employee to read, sort and shelve library materials and maintain patron and cataloging records.
Work Hours: A part-time work schedule may include day, evening, and weekend hours.
City of Greenville, NC - 20 months ago
Greenville, NC is the 10th largest city in the state of North Carolina and the home of East Carolina University! Located halfway between the...