I. TITLE: Library Specialist
II. PREFERRED PREREQUISITES:
- 1-3 years experience working with children ages 0-12 yrs, teaching experience preferred.
- At least 12 ECE units preferred
- Demonstrated teaching, presentation and group facilitation skills preferred
III. REPORTS TO: Prevention Program Coordinator
IV. POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Children’s Bureau is currently seeks a qualified Library Specialist for the Magnolia Place Family Center location in Los Angeles, CA. The Library Specialist is under the direct supervision of the Prevention Program Coordinator and will plan, support and implement an after school library program for children 5-12 yrs old and their parents/younger siblings. The Library Specialist will also work closely with volunteers, Children’s Bureau staff, and partners to prepare and administer daily activities, provide educationally enriching curriculum, as well as tutoring for those children in need of assistance. This is currently a part-time 20 hr. per week position.
V. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and i mplement creative and engaging curriculum in the Magnolia Place Library Program for children ages 5-12 and their parents.
- Assist parents to increase the use of developmentally appropriate learning activities\s and school readiness activities at home.
- Work closely with children to make developmental progress in all 5 domains of school readiness including physical, social and emotional, approaches to learning, language and cognition, and general knowledge .
- Participate in Magnolia Community Initiative meetings and help facilitate Magnolia Place family events.
- Work with volunteers to ensure they receive all necessary background checks and training prior to working with children.
- Work with Magnolia Place partners to coordinate activities and programming for the Library as well as plan and support occasional Saturday field trips.
- Become an integral part of a cohesive Prevention team.
- Recruit potential parent/volunteer facilitators
- Provide all paperwork necessary for the program - contact notes, attendance sheets, demographics, etc.
- Learn about the Magnolia Community Initiative
- Integrate and Align the work of the Library Program with the Magnolia Community Initiative
- REQUIRED: Bilingual English/Spanish
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must be available afternoons and evenings Mon.-Friday. Some Saturdays required as well.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Physical requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Maintains confidentiality in matters of agency operations, personnel, and clients
- Maintains positive communications with all agency staff, clients, and visitors
- Exercise good judgment in performance of duties and responsibilities
- Supports existing agency policies, principles and mission
- Other related duties as assigned