This is the first level in a library support career ladder. Incumbents at this level will support a Librarian or Library Technician II and usually are assigned to customer and technical service activities. Advancement to the second level requires a demonstrated ability to deal with a more complex level of library processes such as intermediate cataloging and basic reference. Advancement to Library Technician II also requires formal education and training as stated in the job description, to support higher levels of service.
* Assists faculty, staff, students, and other visitors with use of the library. Assists them to find materials, directing them to resources and guides.
* Demonstrates the use of card catalogs and performs basic cataloging. May perform basic reference services. Refers more difficult requests to a Library Technician II or higher classification.
* Shelves new and returned materials (books, media, or periodicals) in the absence of student employees and assures data entry into the library system.
* Mends and repairs book and non-book materials. Disposes of damaged or outdated materials according to established procedures.
* Maintains a clean and orderly environment.
* Circulates, stores, and inventories books, periodicals, and audiovisual materials including those that are overdue.
* Processes a full range of library materials within established parameters.
* Provides technical services such as interlibrary loan including those required for cooperative library system materials, and maintaining the course reserve collection.
* Maintains current procedures manuals for the position. Cross-trains other staff members.
* Performs routine clerical and record keeping duties.
* Provides guidance and training to student employees.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position .
Education & Experience:
The position requires a High School diploma and one year of experience in a library or instructional setting. Additional higher education will substitute for experience.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Requires basic procedural knowledge of standard library methods, practices, and terminology including use of library card catalog and basic reference sources. Must have a basic understanding of a classification system, subject headings, and library filing rules. Must be familiar with automated carding systems and records. Requires sufficient communication skills in order to serve customers and to interact with staff and faculty. Requires sufficient arithmetic skills to arrange materials in numerical sequence and calculate sums needed for handling cash and recording circulation data. Requires sufficient English writing skills to document instructions on library procedures.
Must be able to perform all of the duties of the position with only general supervision and support. Requires the ability to follow detailed procedures such as standard library cataloging and filing rules. Requires the ability to understand Library operations, goals and objectives. Must be able to maintain a circulation area in a manner that supports research and studying. Must be able to apply and explain library rules, regulations and policies. Requires the ability to deal courteously with library patrons. Must be able to perform routine clerical and record keeping duties. Must have the ability to work evenings and weekends if required.
Requires ambulatory ability to sit, stand, stoop, reach, and twist on an intermittent basis. Requires sufficient visual acuity to recognize letters and numbers; hand-arm-eye coordination to use a personal computer keyboard at an acceptable rate; ambulatory ability to walk, move carts, and reach to shelves for placement of lightweight objects (less than 10 pounds); hearing and speech ability to carry on conversations in person and over the phone.
The following must be submitted online for a complete application packet:
1) Completed Lassen College Online Application ( click "apply" at the top of the page ).
2) Personal cover letter stating reason for interest in position.
3) Current resume outlining education, related experience, preparation, and achievements.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide a complete application packet with required attachments for each position.
Lassen Community College - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard