License Clinical Social Worker
Director of Behavioral Health
The Behavioral Health Clinician works in conjunction with members of the medical and behavioral health team to manage psychosocial aspects of chronic and acute diseases, apply behavioral principles to address lifestyle and health risk issues and provide consultation in the treatment of mental disorders and psychosocial issues.
Note: The information in this position description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualification required of employees assigned to this job. Revise 06/07/11.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Master’s Degree
Experience : (Required)
• Minimum of three years experience as a social worker in a community mental health environment.
• Experience and knowledge of multi-ethnic and underserved communities.
•Bilingual in Spanish and English (Required).
• Demonstrated experience in a Managed Care setting.
•California licensed Clinical Social Worker and/or Psychologist
PRINCIPLE ACCOUNTABILITIES. We acknowledge that all employees should have goals and objectives that support the Mission of St. John’s and that each should be accountable for personal, team and organizational goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Personal - Team - Organization
• Promote and integrate behavioral health services.
• Maintain protocols and procedures for integrated behavioral health activities across the St. John’s network.
• Assists the primary care provider in recognizing, treating and managing mental health and psychosocial issues
and acts as a contributing member to the primary care team and behavioral health team.
• Conducts client intakes, focusing on diagnostic and functional evaluations, then makes recommendations to
the primary care provider concerning the clients’ treatment goals and plan.
• Provides consultation to the primary care providers to enhance patient care.
• Provides brief, focused intervention for clients who are in need of mental health services.
• Assists in the detection of “at risk” clients and in the development of plans to prevent worsening of their condition.
• Monitors and coordinates the delivery of health services for clients as related to behavioral health care, including
linking with other treatment providers not only within the primary care setting but, with the clients’ permission, outside
it as well.
• Documents the clients’ progress and diagnostic information in the treatment chart.
• Keeps the primary care providers fully informed of the client’s needs and progress and works with providers to
formulate treatment plans.
• Provides consultation to clinic management and other team members about behavioral services and suggested areas
of outcome and program evaluation.
• Participates in case conferences with appropriate medical and ancillary team members.
• Supports Quality Assurance activities related to behavioral health care.
• Provides program reports.
• Assists the clients in complying with any medical treatment initiated by the primary care provider, such as offering
strategies to cope with medication side effects.
• Functions as a member of a multi-interdisciplinary team.
• Proficiency in the identification and treatment of mental disorders.
• Knowledge of evidence-based behavioral assessments and interventions relevant t medical conditions, e.g., disease
management; treatment adherence; and lifestyle change.
• Ability to make quick and accurate clinical assessments.
• Is comfortable with the pace of primary care, working with an interdisciplinary team, and has strong communication
• Care-management skills and knowledge of local resources for outside referrals.
• Skill in targeted, brief psychotherapy and in running group sessions.
• Ability to document services in a way that is useful both to the primary care provider and to management for quality-
• Consultation liaison skills.
• Ability to be flexible with schedules and work in a fast-paces environment.
St. John's Well Child & Family Center - 2 years ago