Quality Care Our Heroes DeserveNow is the time to take your career to the next level and become part of the high-caliber talent that is VA. Experience what 250,000 current VA employees already have –state-of-the art practice settings, access to the latest technology, a multi-disciplinary team environment and the opportunity to provide the men and women who have bravely served this country with the finest patient care, benefits and customer satisfaction. And with VA Patient Satisfaction Scores leading the healthcare industry, you’ll be joining one of the most respected facilities in the Nation.
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 785029 (Please include on all documents)
Our mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise – "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" – by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCEThe Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center is a 673-bed tertiary healthcare facility which provides care to over 100,000 veterans in northern Ohio. We provide care through our main medical facility at the Wade Park campus, 13 community based outpatient clinics, and 3 vet centers. The medical center has been recognized for more programs of excellence than any other Veterans Affairs Medical Center. These programs of excellence include: Open Heart Surgery, Care of the Seriously Mentally Ill, Geriatric Evaluation and Management, Substance Abuse Care, Spinal Cord Injury Care, Medical Care of the Homeless, Domiciliary Care of the Homeless, Functional Electrical Stimulation, Advance Platform Technology, Primary Care Education, and Patient-Centered Specialty Care Education. We are a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care services to Veterans with state-of-the art technology as well as medical education and research. Our main campus in Cleveland, OH has a full service ER for both general acute care and psychiatric care and a comprehensive reference clinical laboratory. With us, you will find a challenging, yet rewarding career experience.
DUTIES: The Louis Stokes Cleveland Veteran Affairs (VA) Medical Center is currently recruiting for one highly qualified Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). The LPN will work in Home Based Primary Care (HBPC) for the Community Outpatient Service. As a LPN you must make independent home visits to veterans with complex medical and psychosocial conditions. You must make astute observations, thoroughly document care, patient education, and the patient's response(s). Seek assistance and guidance when needed to inform the Registered Nurse or Medical Provider of changes in the patient's condition that potentially could require a higher level of intervention. The position requires an individual who is motivated and an excellent team player, with flexibility to assume other functions related to patient care on an as-needed basis.
Education: Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency or accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC). Verification can be obtained from the State approving agency or the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, 61 Broadway, 33rd Floor, New York, NY 10006. Additional information may also be obtained from the NLNAC Website.Licensure: Full, active, current and unrestricted licensure as a licensed practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or District of Columbia.Grade Determination: Will be done by a performance standards board (PSB) and will take education, work experience, and other pertinent information into consideration.GS-3: None beyond the basic requirement listed above.GS-4 Experience: Six months of qualifying experience as an LPN or LVN. Qualifying experience is successful nursing as an LPN/LVN maintaining acceptable standards within a health care setting under the direction of a registered nurse or physician. -OR-GS-4 Education: Graduation from an approved school of at least 24 months duration. -OR-GS-4 Education and experience: Graduation from an approved school and one year of experience that involved nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures.GS-5 Experience: Completion of at least one year of qualifying experience equivalent to the GS-4 level in the federal service.GS-6 Experience: Completion of at least one year of qualifying experience equivalent to the GS-5 level in the federal service.When describing your experience please include your title, duties performed, and dates of employment. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly.
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be reviewed to determine your qualifications. Please be sure your resume and supporting documentation clearly reflect your expertise related to the following competencies:
Bring your expertise to VA and be valued as part of a team that is recognized and respected for significant contributions to medicine. You’ll enjoy a patient-focused environment, terrific benefits and incentives, and the ability to practice at any VA facility in the country.
- Knowledge of and experience working in skilled home care or an acute medical unit.
- Knowledge of and experience working on an Interdisciplinary Treatment Team.
- Knowledge and ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' conditions; to use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; and to accurately recognize, report and record relevant patient information.
- Ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs for care, including medication, equipment-assisted care and patient/family education. In organizing and delivering care, the LPN/LVN recognizes and considers emotional, cultural, spiritual, socio-economic, and age-related factors.
- Prepares and administers prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, and/or intramuscular) and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures.
- Knowledge and ability to recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations seek assistance of the RN, MD/DO, and/or EMS and initiate appropriate emergency interventions as directed.
- Knowledge and understanding of human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations, and ability to appropriately utilize this knowledge in working effectively with patients, family members, and other staff.
- Establishes constructive relationships with individual patients and their families to elicit feelings and attitudes, and to promote positive relationships, communication and socialization skills.
- Fosters an environment of respect for individual patient and family rights to privacy and dignity in all aspects of care delivery.
- Effectively incorporates knowledge and understanding of established customer service standards in all interactions with patients, family members, and/or other internal/external customers.
- Actively seeks out educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge and skills, sharing new knowledge gained with other staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Department of Veterans Affairs - 20 months ago
The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. It is...