Health Services, Inc.
POSITION: Life Enrichment Director
DEPARTMENT: Life Enrichment Department
REPORTS TO: Administrator
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Supervises and provides an activity program
appropriate to meet the physical, social, cultural, spiritual, emotional, and
recreational needs and interests of each patient/resident. Provides the opportunity
for residents/patients to engage in normal pursuits, as well as promoting a successful
and well-balanced leisure lifestyle. Works with all disciplines to assist the
patient/resident in reaching their highest level of independence. Plans and monitors
leisure activities for recreation and therapeutic purposes, designed to enhance the
quality of like of each patient/resident as well as maintain an open working
relationship with the patient/resident’s family or guardian. Follows all Extendicare
policies and procedures.
1. Supervisory Responsibilities
- Makes daily work assignments.
- *Directs the work of employees.
- Schedules lunch and rest breaks
- Authorizes early departure from work.
- Authorizes overtime.
- Reassigns employees from one area to another area as facility needs
Reports as needed.
- Prepares written evaluations of assigned employees.
- Enforces facility policies with authority to issue Disciplinary Action
2. *Plans, develops, organizes, implements, evaluates and directs the activity
- Authority to suspend employees for rules violation.
- Initials time records to authorize variances.
- Interviews applicants that will be assigned to his/her area of responsibility.
- Receives and handles employee complaints.
- *Participates in training programs and assists in orientation of new staff.
3. *Assesses individual/group resident/patient needs and develops related
meaningful morning, afternoon, evening and special programs.
4. *Prepares and posts a monthly schedule of activities.
5. *Coordinates, directs and/or conducts all planned activities.
6. Establishes and maintains good public relations and rapport with community
groups, in order to provide outside activities and special projects for
patient/residents, ( i.e. church services, special concerts, school group visits,
7. Documents in patient/resident’s medical record as appropriate. Charts
patient/resident’s attitude, participation level, etc.
8. Attends patient/resident care conferences, updates activity care plans with
progress notes, goals and treatment plans.
9. Confers with and reports to Administrator on a regular basis or as particular
10. *Coordinates the writing, printing and distribution of the facility newsletter.
11. *Assists patient/residents with the voting process by helping them register
and obtaining absentee ballots when necessary.
12. *Assists with resident council by providing a meeting place, nametags, and
other assistance as determined by resident council.
13. *Coordinates volunteer services through orientation, training, and direction of
14. Prepares and plans department budget for equipment, supplies, programs
and labor and submits to Administrator for review, recommendation and
approval. Seeks methods to control costs.
15. Functions independently with minimal supervision.
16. *Handles department equipment according to standard procedures.
17. *Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and acts in
accordance with Extendicare Health Services, Inc.’s Corporate Compliance
18. Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy.
19. *Performs physical activities including standing, lifting ( up to 60 pounds
unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting.
20. *Attends and participates in inservice classes, performance improvement
( “PI”) committees, and other meetings as assigned.
21. *Attends and participates in inservice classes, on-the-job programs, etc., as
scheduled and directed.
22. *Works overtime, holiday and weekend hours as scheduled.
23. Follows facility dress and hygiene policies.
- Knows and follows facility rules.
- *Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or
visitors to the appropriate facility personnel.
- Follows facility smoking policies.
- Reports and documents any incidents or accidents of residents, staff or
assigned in Facility Disaster Plan.
- Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Supervisor.
- *Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents, as
25. Resident Rights
- Uses required protective equipment.
- Follows infection control standards, policies and procedures.
- Knows Resident Rights. Helps the residents exercise and/or protect their
- Reports resident complaints to management.
- Maintains confidentiality of resident information.
implementing HIPAA requirements for the privacy and security of
- Follows and adheres to Extendicare’s policies and procedures
protected health information.
Information necessary to complete assigned tasks .
- Uses and/or discloses only minimum amount of Protected Health
procedures to Facility Privacy Designee.
- Reports all suspected violation of company’s HIPAA policies or
1. *Participates in all-hands dining.
2. *Performs other duties as directed by facility management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
1. Must meet one of the following requirements:
professional who is licensed or registered, as required, by the State and is
- Must be a qualified therapeutic recreation specialist or an activities
eligible for certification as a therapeutic recreation specialist or as an
activities professional by a recognized accrediting body.
years, 1 of which was full-time in a patient/resident activities program in a
- Has 2 years experience in a social or recreational program within the last 5
health care setting.
- Is a qualified occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant.
- Has completed a training course approved by the State.
The designation of “essential functions” and “other duties” is for purposes of
compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Employees holding this position
will be required to perform all job duties, consistent with law. In addition, employees
must meet applicable health requirements imposed by law.
EOE Drug Free Work Place
Extendicare - 11 months ago