The mission of the Palo Alto Institute for Research and Education, Inc. (PAIRE) is to facilitate research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). The range of research activities is broad and includes special emphasis on biomedical, health services, rehabilitation engineering, mental health and geriatric research endeavors. We also support various educational instruction or other learning experiences of benefit to employees and veterans.
PAIRE, a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS), is seeking a Life Sciences Postdoctoral Fellow to work on a NIH funded project involved with delineating the molecular mechanism(s) involved in hypolipidemic actions of a plant-derived compound, NDGA using designer cell lines and genetic/metabolic rodent models.
All PAIRE employed Postdoctoral Fellows are dually appointed through Stanford University. This is a regular, full time, exempt position.
As a condition of employment, all PAIRE employees are required to have an approved (WOC) appointment with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) before they can commence work.
· Culture, maintain and utilize various hepatic and non-hepatic cell lines for NDGA studies;
· Perform state-of the-art molecular, cell biology and biochemical techniques including Western blotting, gene cloning, site directed mutagenesis, semi-quantitative PCR, quantitative real-time PCR (qRT-PCR), gene arrays, gene expression in bacterial, insect and mammalian cells and hormone or growth factors regulated cell cellular signaling cascades;
· Process serum liver, skeletal muscle, adipose tissue, heart, hepatocyte samples and other cell types for lipodomics, proteomics and metabolomics analyses;
· Isolate subcellular fractions including nuclear fractions and measure protein and activity levels of key transcription factors involved in fatty acid catabolism (ï¢-oxidation), synthesis (lipogenesis) and export (VLDL-TG production);
· Feed groups of control (C57Bl/6J), apoE knockout, LDL-receptor null mice or other genetically altered (transgenic or gene ablated for specific gene) a chow or high-fat diet for 12-24 weeks and subsequently treat them with vehicle, NDGA (oral gavaging)of apoA-I mimetic peptides (intraperitoneally or intravenously) on everyday or alternate days for 6-12 weeks. In some cases, NDGA will be given as dietary supplement to high-fructose fed hyperlipidmic rats, ob/ob mice or other rodent models of dyslipidemia.
· Perfusion-fix aorta and aortic sinus tissues and quantify the extent of the atherosclerosis;
· Perform data analyses;
· Assist in general laboratory maintenance;
· Comply with the local, state and federal rules and regulations.
· EDUCATION: Ph.D. in Life Sciences, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry or related field;
· Prior experience in mammalian cell culture related techniques and cellular signaling is essential;
· Some laboratory experience with the animal experience is desired but not essential;
· Ability to work with experimental animals and radioactive biological agents;
· Basic understanding of biochemical and Research principals;
· Basic mathematical skills;
· Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures;
· Good communication skills.
All PAIRE positions require the completion of a background check.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
· Potential exposure to blood borne pathogens;
· Potential exposure to radiation;
· Potential exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals or reagents;
· Regular exposure to a lab environment.
PAIRE is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you are interested in applying for employment with PAIRE and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at email@example.com.
PAIRE, Inc. - 10 months ago