The mission of the Palo Alto Institute for Research and Education, Inc. (PAIRE) is to facilitate research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). The range of research activities is broad and includes special emphasis on biomedical, health services, rehabilitation engineering, mental health and geriatric research endeavors. We also support various educational instruction or other learning experiences of benefit to employees and veterans.
PAIRE, a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS), is seeking a Life Sciences Postdoctoral Fellow to design and execute experiments that address microbiome stability and resilience.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), exempt position.
As a condition of employment, all PAIRE employees are required to have an approved (WOC) appointment with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) before they can commence work.
- Design and execute experiments that address microbiome stability and resilience. These experiments will include studies of the composition of the human microbiome and its response to a defined set of perturbations. This work will involve the use of sequencing-based methods for determining composition of the microbiome as well as metabolomics;
- Develop sample processing and computational assays and protocols required for reaching these goals. This work will include the establishment of methods for extracting microbial DNA and analyzing community composition;
- Analyze and evaluate experimental results acquired from the above listed studies;
- Produce written summaries and oral presentations in order to share and discuss data with mentors, coworkers and collaborators;
- Present findings at scientific meetings;
- Author and publish acquired results in peer-review journals;
- Stay fully up to date with the latest microbiome-related literature;
- Attend research related talks at Stanford and attend scientific conferences of relevance;
- Supervise and provide scientific advice to coworkers and fellow students.
All PAIRE positions require the completion of a background check.
- EDUCATION: Ph.D. degree in related field required;
- Knowledge of statistics/microbial/molecular biology/chemical biology;
- Knowledge of lab safety procedures;
- Excellent communication skills - written and oral;
- Proven technical, analytical skills;
- Ability to work independently and as a team player;
- Able to present results in a laboratory meeting and at scientific conferences.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
PAIRE is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability.
- Potential exposure to blood borne pathogens;
- No exposure to radiation;
- Potential exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals or reagents;
- Regular exposure to a lab environment.
If you are interested in applying for employment with PAIRE and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department.
PAIRE, Inc. - 5 months ago
copy to clipboard