The mission of the Palo Alto Institute for Research and Education, Inc. (PAIRE) is to facilitate research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). The range of research activities is broad and includes special emphasis on biomedical, health services, rehabilitation engineering, mental health and geriatric research endeavors. We also support various educational instruction or other learning experiences of benefit to employees and veterans.
PAIRE, a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS), is seeking a Life Sciences Research Assistant to support proteomics studies (antibody microarrays) on aging and neurodegeneration.
This is a temporary, full time (40 hrs/wk), non-exempt position.
As a condition of employment, all PAIRE employees are required to have an approved (WOC) appointment with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) before they can commence work.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- General wet lab work including the preparation of solutions/ reagents, measuring protein concentrations, ELISAs, Western blots;
- Molecular biology; PCR, qPCR, cloning , bacterial transformations, mini-, maxi-preps;
- Cell culture; maintenance of cell lines, cell counting, transfections, FACS analysis;
- Handling and maintaining mouse colonies; genotyping, breeding;
- Microscopy; tissue preparation/cutting, immunohistochemistry, immunocytochemistry, confocal;
- Carrying out surgical procedures in mice, injections, perfusions, collecting blood, organ procurement;
- Regular documentation of experiments and communication with other lab staff.
All PAIRE positions require the completion of a background check.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent experience desired;
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 1 year lab experience;
- Basic experience in biology;
- General lab skills required, ideally working experience with rodents;
- Understanding of laboratory materials and equipment safety rules and regulations;
- Computer skills and excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
PAIRE is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Potential exposure to blood borne pathogens;
- No exposure to radiation;
- Potential exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals or reagents;
- Regular exposure to a lab environment.
If you are interested in applying for employment with PAIRE and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department.
PAIRE, Inc. - 8 months ago