The mission of the Palo Alto Institute for Research and Education, Inc. (PAIRE) is to facilitate research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). The range of research activities is broad and includes special emphasis on biomedical, health services, rehabilitation engineering, mental health and geriatric research endeavors. We also support various educational instruction or other learning experiences of benefit to employees and veterans.
PAIRE, a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS), is seeking a Life Sciences Research Associate to conduct biomedical research in the area of muscle stem cell biology.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), exempt position.
As a condition of employment, all PAIRE employees are required to have an approved (WOC) appointment with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) before they can commence work.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work directly with Principal Investigator (PI) on the design and execution of laboratory experiments in accordance with specific guidelines;
- Handle live animals (i.e. mice) as well as tissue and cells from those animals;
- Write papers on projects for publication;
- Present posters / talks in conferences pertaining to areas of research;
- General lab organization and maintenance in compliance with regulations regarding health and safety issues.
All PAIRE positions require the completion of a background check.
- EDUCATION: BS degree (or equivalent experience) in genetics, cell biology, molecular biology or a related discipline; PhD degree (or equivalent experience) preferred;
- EXPERIENCE: 4+ years of related experience;
- Well-developed skills in scientific writing and presentations;
- Excellent record keeping and experimental documentation capabilities.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
PAIRE is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Persons with a Disability.
- No exposure to blood borne pathogens;
- Potential exposure to radiation;
- Exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals or reagents;
- Exposure to a lab environment.
If you are interested in applying for employment with PAIRE and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department.