The mission of the Palo Alto Institute for Research and Education, Inc. (PAIRE) is to facilitate research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). The range of research activities is broad and includes special emphasis on biomedical, health services, rehabilitation engineering, mental health and geriatric research endeavors. We also support various educational instruction or other learning experiences of benefit to employees and veterans.
PAIRE, a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS), is seeking a Life Sciences Research Associate I to conduct research related to rheumatoid arthritis.
This is a full-time, exempt position.
- Conducts experiments in accordance with specific guidelines.
- Prepares frozen and fixed tissue sections.
- Immunohistochemical staining.
- Confocal microscope imaging.
- Tissue homogenization.
- Western blot analysis, PCR, DNA cloning and expression.
- Isolates, purifies, and cultures various cells.
- Conducts experiments in mice in vivo and vitro, as required.
- Performs various molecular biological techniques.
- M.S. or Ph.D. desired.
- General knowledge of research procedures gained through education or experience.
- Good computer, writing and communication skills including basic statistical analysis.
- Good interpersonal skills required to assist and train other research staff.
- Understanding of basic molecular biology and blotting techniques.
- Skilled in animal surgery and drug dosing.
- Ability to understand study protocols.
- Knowledge of scientific research methodology.
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals & bloodborne pathogens.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Solid training in general lab skills such as micro-pipetting, PCR analysis, genomic and plasmid DNA preparation, protein measurements, and tissue homogenization.
- Solid training in analytical skills, including routine calculations of dilution factors and solution concentrations as well as using Excel and other programs for data calculation and analysis.
- Solid record keeping skill to maintain a research notebook with day-to-day experiment procedures and results.
- Good organizational skill to keep track of lab orders.
- Effective communication skills, both orally and in writing, to present findings at meetings.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computers, math & statistics.
- Advanced knowledge of scientific research methodology.
- Ability to troubleshoot an experiment as necessary.
- Skilled in performing complex biochemical and molecular biology techniques.
- Experienced in animal surgery, behavioral tests, and vascular & bone imagining procedures.
- Ability to use library resources for information on theoretical/scientific aspects of experiments.
- Ability to prepare and write scientific papers for journals or presentation.
- Using advanced mathematical and scientific techniques to compile and analyze research findings.
- Ability to write technical reports, detailing procedures, processes and observations.
All PAIRE positions require the completion of a background check.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands
- Regular exposure to a lab environment
- Potential exposure to blood borne pathogens
- Exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals or reagents
PAIRE is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you are interested in applying for employment with PAIRE and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at email@example.com.