The mission of the Palo Alto Institute for Research and Education, Inc. (PAIRE) is to facilitate research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). The range of research activities is broad and includes special emphasis on biomedical, health services, rehabilitation engineering, mental health and geriatric research endeavors. We also support various educational instruction or other learning experiences of benefit to employees and veterans.
PAIRE, a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS), is seeking a Life Sciences Research Associate I to support the study of research projects/programs. Some experience working with animal surgery may be required.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), exempt position.
As a condition of employment, all PAIRE employees are required to have an approved (WOC) appointment with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) before they can commence work.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducting experiments in accordance with specific guidelines;
- Isolating, purifying, and culturing various cells;
- Conducting experiments in rats, mice in vivo and vitro, as required;
- Performing various molecular biological techniques;
- Maintaining detailed lab notes regarding experiment outcome;
- Assisting with general laboratory maintenance and compliance with regulations regarding health and safety issues;
- Helping to mentor research assistant and postdoctoral fellows ;
- Assisting research grant submission and IRB protocols.
All PAIRE positions require the completion of a background check.
- EDUCATION: M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Molecular biology or a health-related field desired;
- EXPERIENCE: 3+ years of related experience highly desired;
- General knowledge of research procedures gained through education or experience;
- Understanding of basic molecular biology and blotting techniques;
- Skilled in animal surgery, behavioral tests, vascular & bone imaging procedures (optional);
- Ability to understand study protocol;
- Ability to actively seek collaborations and adapt new techniques;
- Knowledge of scientific research methodology;
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals & bloodborne pathogens;
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Effective communication skills, both orally and in writing, to present findings at meetings;
- Demonstrated knowledge of computers, math & statistics.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
PAIRE is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Potential exposure to blood borne pathogens;
- No exposure to radiation;
- Potential exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals or reagents;
- Regular exposure to a lab environment.