The purpose of this position is to ensure the safety of customers in and around pool areas. This is accomplished by visually scanning pool areas, identifying distressed swimmers or customers, performing in-water rescues and assists as necessary, completing CPR when appropriate and providing first aid care to customers. Other duties may include providing customer service support, maintaining pool operations and equipment, assisting with locker room and bathroom maintenance and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Ensures the safety of customers at City aquatic facilities by visually scanning all areas of the aquatic facility, determining whether customers are in distress, performing in-water rescues and assists when necessary, providing first aid to customers when appropriate and completing CPR for rescued customers when necessary.
- Maintains pool operations and equipment by vacuuming the pool, scrubbing pool equipment and pool walls for sanitization purposes, operating the power wash machine to cleanse deck areas, removing debris from pool water and picking up debris from deck areas.
- Ensures the sanitization of aquatic facilities by disinfecting bathrooms with the appropriate cleaners, sweeping and mopping floors, picking up debris from patron areas and gathering lost items.
- Provides customer service by offering assistance to customers, responding to customer inquiries, addressing customer concerns or problems, educating customers on facility rules and procedures and directing customers to appropriate the persons or areas.
- May act as a water safety instructor if certified as such by the American Red Cross.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Level of knowledge equivalent to less than high school or equivalency.
No experience required.
Certification and Other Requirements
American Red Cross Lifeguard & First Aid Certifications.
American Red Cross CPR/Professional Rescuer w/AED Certification.
Basic - Ability to recognize meaning of common two- or three-syllable words. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives directions: The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Occasional: 20% or less of work time.