This position is under the general supervision of the Head Lifeguard. This position is responsible for the day to day safety of all swimming patrons.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Ensures public safety by monitoring Centennial Beach and the surrounding Riverwalk areas within the direct vicinity of Centennial Beach.
2. Prevent accidents by managing guests, enforcing rules, scanning swimmers for distress and directing weak swimmers to remain in shallow water.
3. Provide rescue and emergency first aid care when needed.
4. Anticipate and recognize aquatic emergencies.
5. Perform general maintenance and janitorial duties in order to maintain an orderly, friendly, clean and safe environment for guests, co-workers and the general public.
6. Attend all required weekly in-service training sessions.
7. Maintain and properly care for all safety equipment and supplies.
8. Exercise mature judgement in administering or ejecting those who violate Beach safety rules. Inform the head guard immediately of your intent to eject a guest from the facility.
9. Maintain a proactive approach to safety and risk management. Is prepared and cooperative with the annual loss control review process, aquatic audits and required health department inspections.
10. Demonstrates and supports park district customer service standards.
11. Follows district and departmental safety, personnel, and administrative policies, procedures and ordinances.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
· Instruct swim lessons.
· Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Demonstrate excellent communication skills (i.e., professional ability to attend to customer needs).
· Ability to address complaints and resolve concerns as needed.
· Mental and physical ability to respond quickly to any emergency.
· Demonstrate attention to detail.
· Exhibit a keen awareness of surroundings.
Education and Experience:
· Ellis Lifeguarding certification required.
· CPR and First Aid certification required.
· Scuba certification required.
Special Considerations :
· Must be at least 16 years old.
· Subject to outside environmental conditions.
· Ability to lift light to medium weight (20-50 lbs.) objects.
· Ability to pass the vigorous pre-season training.
· Demonstrate 20/30 vision or the ability to achieve 20/30 vision through the use of corrective lenses.
The district is required by state statute (70 ILCS 1205/8-23) to obtain criminal conviction information concerning applicants, and shall perform a criminal background check for applicants for all positions, including the position for which you have applied. Applicants are not obligated to disclose sealed or expunged records of convictions. Conviction of offenses enumerated in subsection (c) of said statute shall automatically disqualify the applicant from consideration for working for the district. All other convictions shall not automatically disqualify the applicant from consideration, but rather, the conviction will be considered in relationship to the specific job.
Naperville Park District - 2 years ago