As a member of the Peninsula Family YMCA Aquatic Department, the Lifeguard is responsible for the maintenance of a safe aquatic environment and first response in an aquatic emergency. The Lifeguard is fully responsible for theses duties and is responsible for following the YMCA of the USA guidelines under the direction of Peninsula Family YMCA Management. This position is considered to have a supervisory or disciplinary relationship over minors.
Skills and Requirements
This position requires the minimum age of 18 years. Candidates must possess the knowledge and skills to maintain a safe aquatic facility and respond effectively to an emergency situation. The following certifications must be current:
1. YMCA Lifeguard (ARC will be accepted at time of hire, but YMCA Lifeguard must be obtained within 60 days of hire.)
2. Professional or Health Care Provider level CPR/AED
3. Oxygen Administration
4. First Aid
1. Lifeguards all scheduled shifts.
2. Ensures the health and safety of all members by providing consistent enforcement of rules and regulations.
3. Arranges for a qualified substitute, in writing, at least 24 hours in advance.
4. Knows and follows emergency and evacuation procedures.
5. Submits incident and accident reports within 24 hours following incident/accident.
6. Know and enforce posted pool schedule.
7. Maintain all required certifications for position.
8. Begin and end all responsibilities on-time, in uniform and prepared.
9. Maintain a positive attitude when working with members, guests, and other employees.
10. Exercise good judgment and communicate concerns to your supervisor.
11. Create a mission-based environment which enable members, guests and employees of the YMCA to be engaged in the YMCA movement.
12. Other duties as assigned
After Hire Requirements
Participation in the following is required and time spent in the training is paid for by the YMCA.
1. YMCA New Hire Orientation
2. Child Abuse Prevention
3. Safety Training (Facility Specific Safety Training and Blood-Borne Pathogens)
4. Department Staff Meetings
5. All Branch Staff Meetings
6. Maintains Aquatic Quick Checks, In-Services, and Audits
YMCA of the USA is the national resource office for the nation's 2,663 YMCAs, which serve nearly 20.2 million people each year, including...