Visceral Games creates top quality next-gen games that push the boundaries of action entertainment. We have over a decade of experience at delivering high-intensity action gaming experiences such as Dead Space and Dead Space 2, Dante’s Inferno, Army of Two, Army of Two: 40th Day, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, and 007: Everything or Nothing. As part of a worldwide group of EA studios, we have the stability and backing of a large company combined with the agility and fun culture of small studios and the mandate to make original IP. We are focused on creativity, polish, and shipping games that millions love as well as building healthy teams and culture. Come join one of our AAA-quality studios focused on making AAA-quality games!
Seeking a highly motivated Contract Lighter for the Dead Space franchise on Xbox 360 and PS3. This is a major opportunity to greatly contribute creatively to an exciting unique franchise. Lighters add the lighting to a game environment to create atmosphere, add realism, tone, and depth. Lighters emphasize drama or narrative, and also establish and clarify location, weather, time of day, etc. Lighters execute their work by leveraging their technical knowledge as well as their strong sense of aesthetics to create lighting in environments that meet the expectations of the art director and run within budget of the game engine.
The ideal candidate has a solid technical understanding of lighting and light asset creation, is able to communicate with other disciplines within the development team and is able to take creative direction from the Art Director while creating assets that work within the performance limitations of the game engine. Lighters will have a background that combines art and math. They typically have a degree in Computer Graphics, Computer Science, an Art-related subject such as Photography or Computer Animation, Math, or Physics.
Lighters at EA are expected to possess solid artistic skills, including a thorough understanding of color theory, composition, light, and form. They should have experience with a 3D CG package (e.g., Maya, Mental Ray), demonstrating a basic understanding of rendering, lighting, shading networks, polygonal modeling, and texture UV's. Lighters should also have an understanding of the characteristics of light and how it is simulated in a CG environment; they should be able to work from reference materials, identifying and translating key lighting details into applicable information; and they should be able to light moderate to complex interior and exterior scenes. Experience with film, photography, or theater lighting is a plus.
- Create lighting for environments.
- Work collaboratively with game designers, environment, VFX and technical artists to understand and interpret level design, environment art and VFX requirements within the engine’s technical limitations.
- Support the Art Director and Lighting lead in the overall vision for the game while taking ownership on in game environments.
Experience & Qualities Sought
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process.
- Working knowledge of Maya, and/or other commercial 3D authoring packages.
- A keen eye for consistency in lighting, color balance, and mood between the various elements of a shot or scene.
- An understanding of effective asset creation and optimization.
- Breadth of artistic styles.
- Experience creating textures is a plus.
- Experience creating environments is a plus.
About this Project
- Previous experience creating high quality lighting for Xbox 360 and/or PS3 games.
- Experience with deferred lighting is a plus.
- Experience with one or more scripting programming languages is a plus (MEL, Python, etc.).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative.
- An avid gamer is a plus.
The Dead Space 3 team continues to set new standards for an action-packed story-driven console experience. Our team values are as follows: Gameplay comes first, controller feel is everything, culture of creativity, be highly iterative, playtest early and often, learn from failure, work fast and smart, and surround ourselves with the best talent in the world. Join the crew! Your Plasma Cutter is waiting.
This job listing originated on Gamasutra.com, the game industry's leader.
Gamasutra - 9 months ago