Under the general guidance of the Executive and Sous Chefs, responsible for preparing all food items to the Executive Chef’s and restaurant standards.
Duties & Functions:
Specific Job Knowledge & Skills:
- Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food before use
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment
- Wash and peel (if required) fresh fruits and vegetables to prepare them for cooking or consumption
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes
- Serve food (for example, soup, desserts, sides, entrees) in proper portions onto dishes, plates, mugs, and bowls, ensuring proper plate appearance
- Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish to be served to waiters or patrons, according to standards
- Ensure food storage areas are clean
- Prepare all potentially hazardous foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP guidelines
- Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to guests is safe for consumption
- Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Chef to ensure optimum service to guests
- Ensure the quality of the food items and notify manager if a product does not meet specifications
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food using thermostats and thermometers, including monitoring freezer systems, such as fans, drains, and doors, for proper operation, and report issues or problems to facility management
- Report maintenance issues immediately to appropriate personnel (ie, management or maintenance)
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of company Food Safety Programs within assigned area of responsibility, as well as all local, state, and federal regulations
- Ability to work under demanding and strenuous situations
- Monitor the quantity of food that is prepared and the portions that are served in to control food waste and ensure that good food is not thrown away
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred
- Minimum two years of cooking/kitchen experience in an accredited restaurant or hotel
- One to two years in a public contact position, preferably in an upscale or lifestyle brand hotel
- Possess a gracious, friendly, and fun demeanor
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast paced environment and have a high level attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments
- Ability to work independently and to partner with others to promote an environment of teamwork
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. This job description reflects the job content at the time of writing and will be subject to periodic change in light of changing operational and environmental requirements. Such changes will be discussed with the job holder and the job description amended accordingly. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping
- Requires manual ability to use, carry, and operate all necessary equipment
Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel which may include overtime, weekends and holidays. The employee will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager or Head of Department/Division.
The employee will actively follow MHG policies including Equal Opportunities policies and will maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations
Morgans Hotel Group is an equal opportunity employer. We endeavor to select, place, train, and promote the best qualified individuals based upon job-related factors such as ability, work quality, suitability, experience, and potential.
Morgans Hotel Group - 7 months ago
Morgans Hotel Group (MHG) is part of a growing trend of staying in boutiques rather than shopping in them. The company owns (wholly or...