Fairfield Technologies Inc. (FTI), a CMMI Level 3 company, delivers leading-edge information technology (IT), process improvement, and advanced program management solutions for our Federal defense, civilian, and commercial customers. We pride ourselves on finding innovative yet realistic ways to meet the requirements our clients bring to us, and to deliver far beyond expectations. We are currently seeking a Linux System Administrator to join our team in Riverdale, MD.
Certification in Red Hat Enterprise (RHCE) or Oracle Enterprise Linux (Linux Administrator OCA). RHCE is preferred.
Key Role/Position Description:
- Responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of system hardware, application software and related infrastructure.
- Participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the EED environment.
- Ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, application software and related procedures adhere to EED and NASA standards and policies.
- Participate in all phases of development and deployment. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of development and operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation also involves the transition of software from development to production by performing deployment activities within the project life-cycle.
- Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements
- Develop and maintain installation, configuration and security procedures
- Research and recommend innovative and, where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Apply OS/application patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Administer large-scale database management systems.
- Perform ongoing performance, system and application tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Provide 24/7 administration support of operational system for urgent/emergency response
- Must have a BS degree in a technical major, such as engineering or computer science, or 6 years direct experience in lieu of degree
- Must have a minimum of 4+ years of experience as a Linux system administrator
- Must have experience automating tasks using scripting languages (e.g., shell or Perl)
- Must have knowledge of TCP/IP networking and security technologies and services such as HP ProCurve, Cisco IOS, Juniper JunOS, OpenLDAP, OpenSSL, KerberosV, RADIUS, and SSH
- Must have knowledge of Apache and Java application server technologies
- Must have knowledge of storage volume management and filesystems
- Must have proven understanding of high availability, data/system replication, and disaster recovery methodologies in the system and database spaces
- Certification in Red Hat Enterprise (RHCE) or Oracle Enterprise Linux (Linux Administrator OCA). RHCE is preferred.
- Proven knowledge of virtual systems and VMware
- Experience supporting software development teams, tools, and processes
Compensation and Benefits:
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to convey a strong presence, professional image, and deal confidently with complex technical problems
- Must be legally eligible to work in the United States
- Career Growth – Outstanding Career Opportunities with Competitive Compensation. Customized Training and Development Program. Educational Assistance.
- Health Insurance and Income Protection – Company-Subsidized Comprehensive Health and Dental Insurance for Employees and Families. Company-Paid Vision, Life, Accident, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance. Company-Funded Health Savings Accounts
- Investment and Savings – 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off – Company-Paid Holidays, Sick and Vacation Time
Fairfield Technologies, Inc. - 22 months ago