The Literacy Advisor will be responsible direct instructions, providing academic advisement to motivate student persistence, promote self-efficacy, and facilitate tailored referrals to further education and training. The Advisor will collaborate with BPL partner organizations in an effort to improve, strengthen and create new partnerships as well as create easily accessible resources and referral systems for our adult students.
The Literacy Advisor position includes the monitoring of instruction in the Adult Learning Centers, supervising computer assisted instruction, collaborating in volunteer development, and meeting regularly with colleagues to deliver training to prospective volunteers. The Literacy Advisor will be second-in-charge of a Learning Center, and a liaison to the Pre-HSE and Young Adult Literacy Program. This position will act as a resource to the other BPL Literacy Program staff in the delivery of adult basic education instructional programming. This position reports to the Learning Center Site Supervisor.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Skills & Qualifications:
- Implement a curriculum for adult basic education students enrolled in the Adult Learning Center
- Evaluate adult students’ reading and writing learning progress utilizing a variety of assessment tools
- Develop volunteer tutors by introducing instructional strategies, training and intervention; monitor instruction delivered by volunteer tutors
- Oversee student computer instruction & supervise computer aides
- Work as part of a team to enhance student experience and outcomes
- Participate actively in all program and staff development initiatives
- Collaborate to build and improve partnerships with other organizations
This position is in the bargaining unit.
- BA Degree in Education or related field
- 1-2 years’ experience in Adult Literacy Instruction & basic education for adults below grade five reading/writing level
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as customer service skills
- Strong proficiency in the use of computers and other advanced educational technologies including IPads & Smartboards.
- Experience conducting successful literacy and technology instruction
- Experience in training and developing volunteers
- Knowledge of current theory and practice in reading, writing and assessment
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team regularly
- Leadership qualities to inspires and motivates others to perform well
- Some travel required
- Must be able to work varied schedule, including evenings and Saturday
Interested and qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume to email@example.com EOE