Earthjustice is the original environmental law organization, built on the belief that we all have a right to a healthy environment. We fight, using the power of the law to preserve, protect, and promote a healthier, more sustainable world for everyone. Through far-reaching, big-impact litigation, we ensure that those who jeopardize the health of the planet are held accountable to the law. We work tenaciously to preserve our natural heritage, safeguard our health, and promote a clean energy future.
Earthjustice has nine regional offices, an international program, and legislative policy and communications advocacy teams. We hire the best and brightest who share our passion for justice and a healthy environment for all people.
Earthjustice’s Northeast regional office is seeking a full-time Litigation Assistant to provide both substantive and administrative support to our legal staff. The position is open immediately in our New York City office. Earthjustice is the original environmental law organization, built on the belief that we all have a right to a healthy environment. We fight, using the power of the law to preserve, protect, and promote a healthier, more sustainable world for everyone. Through far-reaching, big-impact litigation, we ensure that those who jeopardize the health of the planet are held accountable to the law. We work tenaciously to preserve our natural heritage, safeguard our health, and promote a clean energy future.
- The Litigation Assistanssist regional office attorneys in New York City, Philadelphia, and remote locations.
- Case development, including web and library factual and technical research and analysis;
- Preparation and review of discovery materials in evidentiary proceedings;
- Preparation of tables, correspondence, exhibits, and other documents related to administrative submissions (such as regulatory comments) and court filings;
- Preparation, service, and filing of agency and court documents, including electronic filings;
- Organization and maintenance of case files and docket;
- Weekly summary of significant news items and state regulatory bulletins;
- Creation of PowerPoint presentations for public education, Board meetings, and fundraising efforts;
- GIS mapping; and
- General administrative assistance (photocopying, proofreading, taking meeting minutes, updating database of case descriptions, communications with agencies and courts, monitoring court rules).
Qualifications : This position requires a can-do attitude, meticulous attention to detail, and an unrelenting commitment to high performance standards. We are looking for excellent research, analytical, writing, and computer skills (word processing, databases and spreadsheets, Internet, GIS, etc.), as well as the ability to organize and to set priorities among multiple assignments; to meet deadlines, and to function calmly under pressure. Bachelors degree required. Paralegal training or a background in environmental or public health science, policy, or advocacy is a plus.
Compensation : We offer a competitive salary, based on experience, and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an informal and collegial work environment with a casual dress code for the office.
Application Procedure: Please send a letter explaining your interest and qualifications, a resume, a brief writing sample, and contact information for three professional or academic references by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Subject line should read: Legal Assistant Application (NY). Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No telephone calls or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Earthjustice - 18 months ago