CNA Insurance is seeking a qualified attorney specializing in Medical Malpractice and General Liability. Attorney must be licensed in Maryland.
Provides full or specialized legal services to one or more departments or specialty. Has ongoing relationship and accountability for the department being served. Is an operational specialist and legal expert in the organization. Work assignments consist of major legal tasks involving problems of recognized complexity and facts that are occasionally in question for which considerable legal judgement, experience and independent reasoning are required. Handles cases with extra contractual damages. This includes trying cases.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Handles insurance defense litigation in area of general liability and professional liablity.
2. Tries cases including court appearances, trial preparation, motions, discovery and negotiations.
3. Supervises preparation of the defense in litigation. Works with outside counsel to develop the defense; briefs and guides them and supervises their work. Directs outside counsel on whether a case should be tried or settled.
3. Tries cases including court appearances, prila preparation, motions, discovery and negotiations.
4. Provides research, legal analysis, factual information, counsel and guidance on legal questions or issues.
5. Prepares position papers on various legal issues and interpretation of contractual provisions.
6. Trains department staff on appropriate procedures (e.g., claims, etc).
7. Periodically works with external clients while resolving legal issues. Responds to government regulatory agencies.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. First chair litigation and professional liability experience desired.
2. Excellent verbal and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
3. Strong negotiation, consultative and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external business partners,
4. Ability to exercise independent judgement, and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
5. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and senior level skill in managing ambiguous situations and issues.
6. Proven ability to take a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives in order to achieve strategic business results.
7. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
8. Advanced knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and procedures of litigation management within an insurance organization.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree with JD, and admission to the bar of at least one state.
Maryland Bar admission required, DC a plus.
2. Typically a minimum of seven years of claims and/or law firm experience with a proven track record of results.
CLAIM-Law Claim Legal-E
CNA - 2 years ago