This is a skilled position involving both locksmith and carpentry. Written and oral work assignments are received from campus zone supervisors and the Assist. Director of Facilities. Work is performed with little to immediate supervision, but is subject to periodic inspection in process and review on completion. This position requires a person of the highest integrity, honesty and diligence. An extensive background check will be necessary.
Southern Polytechnic State University, a member of the University System of Georgia, is a residential university with over 6,200 students pursuing bachelors and masters degrees in many of the nation’s fastest growing technology fields. The university, located one mile west of 1-75’s Exit 263, is just 20 minutes northwest of downtown Atlanta. Southern Polytechnic is an EOE / ADA /AA Employer.
1. Responsible for installation, modification, testing, and preventative maintenance associated with campus locks and security devices.
2. Responsible for door preparation, installation of locks, exit devices, door closers, cylinder pinning and key fabrication.
3. Fabricates door, desk, file, and maser keys; removes broken keys from locks; cleans, re-pins and lubricates malfunctioning lock cores and picks locks where keys are lost.
4. Maintains key issuance records, both manually and on computer; updates records to accurately reflect key losses, recording, new keys and key returns.
5. Develop building key schedule.
6. Maintain locksmith shop and inventory control.
7. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Desirable Knowledge Skills and Abilities
1. Ability to estimate time, labor and materials.
2. Working knowledge of computers and various software such as Microsoft Excel, Access and Word.
3. Working knowledge of keystone 600 computer software preferred.
4. Working knowledge of Best Key system
5. Knowledge of Salto networking locking system preferred.
6. Knowledge of low voltage devices for installation, connection, repair and replacement.
7. Ability to troubleshoot and perform emergency services, including evenings and weekends when needed.
High School diploma or equivalent and minimum of 2 years of formal training as a locksmith. A minimum of 4 years’ experience with interchangeable core. Excellent interpersonal and customer skills. Experience with multi-level security and access systems. Absolute unquestioned integrity. Locksmith license preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to the required documents which must be uploaded, please note the following additional information: