GBC Metals, LLC, doing business as Olin Brass, utilizes more than 60 different copper-based alloys to produce specialized sheet and strip products for a variety of end uses. Primary markets for our high-performance products include automotive, microelectronic, and communication interconnects, as well as a long history in the supply of standard alloys in the manufacture of ammunition, coinage, and builders’ hardware. We draw strength and success from the dedication of our employees, many of whom have spent decades working in our industry. We currently have an opportunity for a Logistics Manager in our Louisville, Kentucky, office.
Responsibilities include managing Best Transport logistics system, providing Logistics Policy to all plant locations, interpretation and analysis of data, freight payment/claims activities, carrier compliance, and reporting functions related to the distribution of our products on a global basis. This position is a vital link between sales, customers, warehouses, plants, and suppliers ensuring the economical movement of all finished goods and some raw materials.
- Implementation of logistics policy for the division while ensuring business unit objectives and customer requirements are met or exceeded. Ultimate accountability for all freight movement within the Olin Brass business unit.
- Rate/Contract negotiations involving applying knowledge of different modes of transportation and their rate structures. Modes of transportation include: TL (van & flats), LTL (short & long haul), rail, intermodal and ocean.
- Carrier selection utilizing procedures to evaluate: service, equipment availability, equipment suitability, rates, financial stability, operating authority, safety and insurance coverage. Must ensure carriers meet all legal requirements per corporate policies in order to protect Olin Brass from unnecessary litigation and risk exposure.
- Oversee all aspects of export compliance surrounding Olin Brass products, including compliance with the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). This role is the primary resource for 100% compliance with all U.S. customs laws and regulations.
- Logistics analysis: The role will be accountable for the ongoing review of transportation costs and delivery requirements and the reporting of such data to management, customers, and sales/marketing.
- Analyzes freight costs for the business unit shipping locations in order to achieve optimum costs with best possible service, making necessary adjustments when conditions warrant.
- The role oversees the policy/procedures for return of damaged, defective or returned products. Ensures the effective movement of finished goods for both domestic and foreign delivery; provides logistical support for scrap purchase/sell programs; provides routing assistance to all Olin Brass plants.
- Create and monitor monthly metrics on logistics spend compared to planned expenditures and expected savings.
- Identify and implement tools, systems and best practices to achieve continuous improvement goals. Manage and develop processes and relationship with all Third Party Logistics partners.
Competencies and Qualifications
Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Transportation/Logistics Management.
5+ years in customer service, management, and logistics environment; demonstrating progressive increase in responsibilities.
Strong negotiation skills: This position requires the ability to negotiate contracts and tariffs with rail, truck (truckload and less than truckload – LTL), intermodal, ocean, container and freight brokerage companies. It also requires constant monitoring of the performance of current carrier partnerships and a continuous search for potential partners. He/she must possess negotiation skills for each of the above modes of transportation, as well as import and export.
Experience with regulatory compliance; customs regulations relating to import and export of business; knowledge of ocean movements on a global basis helpful.
Knowledge of commercial Incoterms and their impacts on business. Must be aware of external influences such as legislation, fuel costs and environmental pressures.
The incumbent must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills in terms of interfacing effectively and positively with carriers, customers and all Olin Brass contacts.
Ability to think independently and handle multiple projects through to completion.
Apply for this job:
- Apply for this job online