MANAGER PUBLIC RELATIONS
Methodist Health System
Department: Public Relations
Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
* Bachelor's of Science
Manages public relations activities for Methodist Health System including media relations, social media, publications, and crisis communications. Develops proactive PR strategy and training to ensure alignment with corporate and department goals. Works collaboratively with PR team to prepare and disseminate information and content regarding Methodist hospital facilities and Methodist Health System through various content channels to help maintain a favorable public image for the organization and its representatives. Maintains positive relationships with internal constituents and external media to facilitate communication. Relies on experience and judgment to respond appropriately to media inquiries. Provides support for corporate communication activities.
Organize Methodist Public Relations department as the central source of information for news media representatives. In line with approved Methodist policies and procedures, ensure that PR Department and other corporate representatives cooperate with media to the fullest extent possible in a timely, accurate and appropriate manner.
* Provide media relations training and guidance for designated Methodist spokespersons.
* Develop annual PR plan to ensure alignment with corporate and department goals
* Determines appropriate metrics and creates appropriate measurement reports for internal communication including Methodist in the News
Develop, update and train department regarding crisis communication and manage crisis communication in accordance with MHS policy
* Maintain crisis communication plan
* Serves as backup to department VP as PIO in crisis situations, major media events
* Serves as onsite media coordinator for breaking news or crisis
Supervise operation of department to include oversight of daily activities of Public Relations Specialists and Publications Specialist/Editor.
* Supervises writer/editor. Dotted line supervision of PR directors at each campus
* Development, evaluation, and promotion of staff.
* Research and coordinate quarterly training to keep staff up to date on skills and trends
Leads the development of content creation and management initiatives.
* Develops content calendar and strategy in collaboration with internal content providers
* Supervise internal and external publications including campus newsletters and consumer health magazine. Provide editorial direction.
* Works with clients, marketing manager, outside agency, production and graphic arts specialists, and publications specialist to integrate key messages,
* Researches, writes, edits, and coordinates production of written communications materials including assigned internal and external publications on behalf of Methodist Health System.
* Creates, edits, and assists with various corporate communications overview documents, letters, grant narratives, project descriptions, fact sheets, articles for internal and external clients.
* As necessary, repurposes content for various media including Web and social media
Proactively interacts often with media representatives including print, broadcast, and digital, to obtain placement of Methodist-related news stories. Responds in a timely manner to media requests regarding patient information and media-initiated placements as assigned. Adheres to patient privacy protocols. Serves as an on-call public information representative.
Works individually and with PR colleagues and outside sources to build, promote, and maintain media contacts and distribution list(s)
* Maintains positive working relationships with local reporters, editors and feature writers who cover business, health care and other relevant topics to promote Methodist Health System programs, services and personnel.
* Works with the VP to determine media spokesperson on hospital events and news stories; determines the appropriateness of media releases for information and formulates the content, timing and manner of releases in compliance with MHS policies.
* Researches, writes and edits press releases and media alerts
* Arranges for and produces still photos and videos to supplement news releases and publications
* Coordinates media conferences/interviews with administrative and clinical leaders, physicians, and patients; and talking points for same
* Proposes, researches, writes and/or edits contest nominations for system initiatives, corporate and board(s) leadership
* Uses social media tools in coordination with Web Developer and other PR representatives to increase visibility, membership, and traffic across the Methodist Health System brand and services.
* Develop potential placements (locally, regionally and nationally) of new stories related to Methodist services, programs, personnel and accomplishments.
Stays abreast of hospital news, trends, services, and objectives through building and maintaining relationships with various “clients” (clinical and operational leaders from throughout the system), physicians, physician liaisons, and others who serve as resources for information, which can be directed as appropriate to external or internal (employee) audiences. Seeks appropriate approval from administration, legal, and others before disseminating information.
* Provide direct communication and counsel to hospital presidents and other leadership members when appropriate.
* Proofread and review all content from content providers prior to publication
Non-Essential Duties and Measurements:
Communication – Seeks first to understand, then to be understood. Exhibits excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, for a variety of internal and external audiences. Ability to communicate with physicians, administrators, and clinicians and exhibit sensitivity to politics among departments, organizations, and partners.
Organization – Creates and organizes content calendar and plan. Exhibits excellent organizational and project management expertise, attentiveness to detail, and the ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks. Ability to recommend and implement constructive and practical suggestions on project and process improvements.
Planning – Begins with the end in mind; Defines the desired outcomes of projects. Uses project management theory tools as appropriate; Schedules time using a proven method; Works in a timely manner; Organizes time and work to enhance productivity; Prioritizes work according to goals; Honors others’ time. Manages urgent and important issues with negatively impacting others; Willing to support others with urgent and important issues; Sees big picture as well as understands own area.
Problem Solving – Works proactively with other departments; Willing to do what it takes to accomplish team and individual goals and needs; Develops a pro/con analysis to assess impact of decisions; Displays a can-do attitude.
Demonstrates advanced writing and editing skills in a variety of formats including digital. Understands biomedical concepts in a way to effectively promote engaging consumer health information. Demonstrates outstanding command of English.
Performs other related duties. Attends, conducts, and participates in hospital and/or department and committee meetings. Utilizes content and syndication tools, including MS Office and Sharepoint
Requires 5+ years PR work experience
Methodist Health System - 2 years ago
Why does a career at Methodist Health System outshine the others? To start with, we truly value our employees and we show it by offering...